ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most common enterprise software to learn in IBM i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most common enterprise software to learn in IBM i?

6 yr IBM i (as400/powersystem) developer/analyst here.

Just a thought/question for senior members. Learning EDIs, RPGLE, and FTP/sFTP (anything under native IBM i) is one thing, learning the enterprise software that a company uses to achieve such things is another. BPCS and Infor LX just an example with manuals not available online and physical copies cost 250-275 USD, for each book per version.

95% of the time, I get a task that in my mind is very easy, simple, and straightforward. But then as soon as I login I get slapped then back-slapped six times in the face with a software they're using that I can't even find in google (or I suck @ googling), or I find in google but manuals are inaccessible (such as Infor LX).

Anyone got any idea what are the most common IBM i enterprise softwares out there that junior-senior developers should learn? Common theme I see now is Infor LX and VisualMapper for US and for Singapore/Malaysia-based companies it's mostly Silverlake and knowledge in retail banking. I don't mind biting the bullet to get the manuals and start learning, but for some softwares I don't even know where to start, like AS/SET. (I get a reference on AS/SET on wikipedia, then not much else)

All softwares from helpsystems I find do-able, they provide the PDFs via email if you ask like helpsystems SEQUEL. The rest is sketchy difficult.

The question. What enterprise softwares did you learn and where did you get/buy/download/find the manuals?

Or am I asking the wrong questions?
    Last edited by Luigi Brito; July 6, 2020, 04:26 AM. Reason: added tags so it's not a random post or anything
Working...
X