StarTech printer server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarTech printer server

I am trying to get a StarTech network print server model PM1115P2 to connect a dot-matrix printer to our network. I have tried creating a *LAN printer device using the HP PJL, the IBM PJL, the IBM SNMP and the IBM IPP drivers. The closest I've come to a connection is with the SNMP drive. Starting a writer gives me a message that the device appears to be an SNMP device, but not a printer. All the other configurations, either the writer ends as soon as it triss to print something, it sits for a while waiting to make a connection, or the spool file is stays in a PND status.

I have set this up as a Windows printer, so the print server seems to be working correctly. Has anyone had any success with this particular device? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

The dot matrix probably doesn't support PJL. Try either of these.

raw:

CRTOUTQ OUTQ( name )
    RMTSYS(*INTNETADR)
    RMTPRTQ('raw')
    CNNTYPE(*IP)
    DESTYPE(*OTHER)
    TRANSFORM(*YES)
    MFRTYPMDL( your printer )
    DESTOPT(XAIX)
    INTNETADR('ip address')

lpr:

CRTDEVPRT DEVD( name )
    DEVCLS(*LAN)
    TYPE(3812)
    MODEL(1)
    LANATTACH(*IP)
    PORT(9100)
    TRANSFORM(*YES)
    MFRTYPMDL( your printer )
    RMTLOCNAME('ip address')
    SYSDRVPGM(*IBMSNMPDRV)

Don't forget to start the writer.

Comment

I have it working as a remote writer like your first suggestion, with all the limitations that go with it, but I want a "real" printer. I have already tried your second suggestion, but the writer ends with message CPD401A, reason code 1.

StarTech says the server is SNMP compatible. Why might a printer server not look like a printer?

Comment

Might need to add USRDFNOPT(*IBMSHRCNN) to the CRTDEVPRT

Comment

Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately, it made no difference.

Comment

Working...
          X