Implicit casting oddities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implicit casting oddities

Hello everybody. Faced with colleagues with the following problem. Here is some C code to illustrate it:
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <decimal.h>
    #include <string.h>
    #include <xxcvt.h>

int main()
    {
      unsigned char zoned[7];
      memcpy(zoned, "0006200", 7);

double d = QXXZTOD(zoned, 7, 4); 
      printf("zoned to double = %f\n", d);  

decimal(7,4) dec = d; 
      printf("double to decimal = %D(7,4)\n", dec);
    }

In this code, printing the d variable displays 0.620000. However, after storing this variable in a decimal variable (7,4) and printing it to the screen, the number 0.6199 is displayed. If this code is compiled with a C ++ compiler, then the problem is not reproduced. Can you explain why the precision is lost when saving to decimal?

When you print with printf, it's probably rounding it. I would avoid the use of float/double unless you absolutely must have them for some reason. They cause all sorts of problems like this! Instead, convert the zoned field directly to decimal, and use that.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post
      Instead, convert the zoned field directly to decimal, and use that.
      Scott, I wouldn't mind a direct conversion from zoned to decimal. But how to do that? I don't know of a standard function from the C / 400 library that does this.

Comment

• d7d1cd_
        d7d1cd_ commented
        Editing a comment
        P.S. Again, everything works correctly in C++!

If, by the way, in the specified code you use not an explicit assignment (dec = d), but do it through the QXXDTOP function, then there is no loss of precision.
      But as a result, 2 functions are needed to convert zoned to packed decimal. Somehow difficult for such a simple operation ...

Comment

Sorry for the slow response, I've been very busy with end-of-year stuff. If you don't have a better way, it seems like you could use the _LBCPYNV MI builtin to convert this:

There should be a prototype, et al, in the include file, QSYSINC/MIH,LBCPYNV

As for why it doesn't work the same in C vs C++... you'd have to ask IBM.

Comment

Scott, thanks a lot for the tip! Created a function for converting, everything works fine!
          Code:
          void ZonToDec(void* zon, void* dec, int dig, int fra)
          {
            _DPA_Template_T zonAttr = { _T_ZONED, (fra << 8) + dig };
            _DPA_Template_T decAttr = zonAttr;
            decAttr.Type = _T_PACKED;

_LBCPYNV(dec, &decAttr, zon, &zonAttr); 
          }

Comment

Working...
          X