Ending an interactive program not in use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending an interactive program not in use

We have users that take menu options that call interactive programs where they have the ability to make changes but don't and just leave the program running. They either walk away or go to lunch or an unexpected meeting is called. I've sent out emails and spoken to managers about object locks but it doesn't help. I'm sure there are ways to end these programs after a period of time without ending the users session.

I was in a JD Edwards shop some time ago and there was a process that did this but I never found out if it was home-grown or a JD Edwards process.

I have a few ideas but they would be resource hogs so I'm hoping someone has already gone down this path and found a reasonable solution. I'm not looking to change hundreds of program either.

What I'm looking for is a monitoring job of sorts that sweeps Qinter and ends the running program if active without activity for more than than 10 minutes, or some reasonable amount of time.

Any ideas?

Mike.
    Everyday's a school day, what grade are you in?

The best solution is to change the programs so that they time out on their own. (or don't hold locks while waiting for user input.)

Having a second program that kills them is always a risky solution -- it'd be very hard to write it so that it doesn't kill the program at the wrong time where it could cause problems.

Comment

Have you looked at the QINACTITV and QINACTMSGQ system values?

Comment

Working...
      X