No announcement yet.

Problem with using AFP Printer to create AFP (or OLY) file in Landscape layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with using AFP Printer to create AFP (or OLY) file in Landscape layout

Hi,

I hope some experts out there can help me with this.

I intend to create an overlay so as to get a PDF document in Landscape layout e.g. a landscape PO in the iSeries. I'd created the form in Landscape using Microsoft Powerpoint 2016, created the OVL file sent it to the iSeries as OVL to be used in DDS as a OVERLAY. But instead of seeing my PDF report in landscape layout it always turns out portrait.

I've checked and double-checked all the settings (i.e. in Microsoft Powerpoint as A4 Landscape and AFP printing preferences orientation is Landscape A4 size) but the AFP file always ends up in portrait layout. This is confirmed using the AFP WorkBencher viewer. I even tried using Microsoft word instead of Powerpoint but the outcome is the same.

The AFP Printer runs on a Windows 10 laptop. Can someone points me in the right direction or advise? Thanks

It's been a long time since I've created one of these.... but, I don't think anything has changed.

When I create an overlay, I print it from my Microsoft application to an AFP print driver, and I tell that driver to output it as an AFP file for an overlay. Then I upload it and run the CRTOVL command over it.

Once I've done that, the overlay remains in the orientation I created it in. so if I create the overlay as portrait, it always prints portrait (even if I use the PAGRTT keyword to rotate the text, the overlay remains portrait.) Likewise, if I create it in landscape, it remains landscape. So, what I had to do was create two overlays, one for portrait, and one for landscape. Generally, my program knows which to use, and just applies the correct overlay when printing.

However, you seem to be saying that even if you create the overlay in landscape mode, it still prints as portrait? I have not run into that problem.

Comment

• MarcusChe
      MarcusChe commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the reply Scott.

I've no problem doing it in portrait from Microsoft app right down to the overlay usage part and the PDF output from iSeries. The problem that I'm facing is somewhat like your last paragraph where, prior to sending AFP (or OLY) file to iSeries, the file is always in portrait and not in the desired landscape mode; I used to iSeries Navigator AFP Manager to bring file to the iSeries and the OLY file gets created without executing CRTOVL.

In short, it is at the PC end that I'm facing problem where I'm not able to produce a AFP document in landscape.

Ok. I don't really where the problem lies but I managed to find a workaround.

When a AFP or OLY file is created and it is in portrait instead of the intended landscape layout, what one can do is the view the file using the AFP WorkBench Viewer and then use its rotation feature to orientate the form to landscape then save it as OVL (or other desired document). This does the trick.

Comment

Working...
    X