FTP Connectivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP Connectivity

I tried to realise what is happening but no luck so far!!

We have FTP server to which AS400 connects and sends some files. Interface partner will connect to this server and pick up corresponding files.

Here is catch- since last few weeks , our AS400 batch ftp job is failing sayin -

No response received from FTP server.
    No response from remote host; all connections closed.

This is happening right at the start as if we have entered unknown FTP server and would not accept user id/password after that.

But in the next try it works. It mostly looks like network issue, but I just wanna make sure that I have covered all the aspects from AS400.
    Any idea if any of AS400 parameters in FTP setting causing this problem?

Out of 10 times once this job fails if ran continuosly!!

Thank you for your help again!!!

Re: FTP Connectivity

this has absolutely nothing to do with your system. when you initiate a FTP session from your system you are the client not the host server. this error is telling you that a) the server you are trying to establish a connection to either can't be reached or b) the FTP server on the remote system is not responding to your system's FTP request
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

This problem is most likely a firewall, in my experience. Though, it's hard to tell with the amount of detail provided... but I'm assuming this is happening during a PUT, GET or DIR request?

FTP uses a set of ports called "ephemeral ports". It opens up one port (based on what's available at the moment) for each file transfer. Files are transferred when putting, getting, or receiving a directory listing. Each time you do that, it opens up a different port. Trouble is -- you might not have all possible ports open in your firewall, so from time to time you might get unlucky, and it might choose a port that's not open, causing the error you cite.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post
        FTP uses a set of ports called "ephemeral ports". It opens up one port (based on what's available at the moment) for each file transfer. Files are transferred when putting, getting, or receiving a directory listing. Each time you do that, it opens up a different port. Trouble is -- you might not have all possible ports open in your firewall, so from time to time you might get unlucky, and it might choose a port that's not open, causing the error you cite.
        Thank you Scott. This is not yet figured out though. They have some F5 handler (not sure what this is ) now on Windows FTP server and it has prevented this intermittent issue.
        I am hoping that it should work now.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
        X