RDi Outline View RPG Equivalent For Cobol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDi Outline View RPG Equivalent For Cobol

Does anyone recommend any tool/plugin that gives you an instant "where used" feature for Cobol source (like RDi outline view does for RPG)? We are looking for something that lets us "quickly" analyze if certain fields are used in Cobol programs without having to look at compile listings.

Here is the best I've found, but it requires you have a tool called XAnalysis.

In XAnalysis, you can search for program references by object name and choose to display the Data Flow Diagram for a program (in this case a Cobol program). The data flow diagram will look like a flow chart that shows: calling programs, called programs, input files, and output/update files. Each program/file referenced by the Cobol program is displayed in a separate box. If you click on a file used by the program, it will open up a list of fields used by the program. Then you can double click an individual field to see what line of source code references that field.

Will IBM ever update RDi to have a more detailed Outline View for Cobol?

Comment

Originally posted by TheZenbudda View Post
      Will IBM ever update RDi to have a more detailed Outline View for Cobol?
      Don't hold your breath. Last I knew, only about 15% of midrange shops were using COBOL.

RDi is mostly RPG oriented...I doubt there are any plans in the future to enhance its capabilities with respect to COBOL code.

Comment

Working...
      X