Query/400 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query/400 question

For good or ill, we have many users who create database files using Query/400 in order to download iSeries data into Excel. The users have been instructed to put such files in either of 2 FTP libraries we set up on the iSeries. However, human nature being prone to mistakes, I am looking for a way to prevent our users from putting database files created through Query/400 into any other libraries than the 2 we have set up for this use. In other words, I want to be able to control the target library when Query/400 creates data files (NOT spooled files).

So far, I have not found a way to do this with interactive queries (WRKQRY). Does anyone have any ideas or resources for accomplishing this?

LBW

Re: Query/400 question

not without locking down libraries at the object level. someone else may know of a workaround but that's the only way I know to definitely keep them from saving to a library.
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Re: Query/400 question

Just forbid wrkqry for the normal user ... most of them do not even know about a relational database, and produce e.g. carthesian products which are the renormalized through level checks etc ...

If they need the data on a regular basis just define the queries and let them run through menu options or program calls ...

Just my 0.02 $
      Sven

The best way to prove your knowledge is to share it ...

Comment

Working...
      X