Output the inscription to the display file without waiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Output the inscription to the display file without waiting

Hello everyone. I have a project now in which I am using a display file. After pressing ENTER, I start unloading the report for a long time and I would like to notify the user about this by displaying a message in the display file field. I used the _Rwrite procedure in C, but the rendered text didn't appear until I did _Rread. But _Rread stops the program and waits for the user's reaction.
    Is there some way to do what I want?

I don't know anything about programming in C. Is there any way you can send a *STATUS message?

Comment

Compile your DSPF with DFRWRT(*NO), every write will be immediately on screen, or like TedHolt mentioned you can send a *STATUS message using QMHSNDPM
      Nicolas

Comment

• vazymimil
        vazymimil commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry can't find the delete button

Compile your DSPF with DFRWRT(*NO), every write will be immediately on screen, or as TedHolt mentioned you can send a *STATUS message using QMHSNDPM
      Nicolas

Comment

Add the FRCDTA DDS keyword to the record format. (or you could use DFRWRT(*NO), but that affects all formats, and you have to remember it every time you compile, so I never use that.)

A status message works, too...

Comment

Thanks to all! Scott, tell me, why is it not recommended to use DFRWRT(*NO)? What's wrong with the fact that the recording of record formats will be carried out immediately?

Comment

Originally posted by d7d1cd_ View Post
            Thanks to all! Scott, tell me, why is it not recommended to use DFRWRT(*NO)? What's wrong with the fact that the recording of record formats will be carried out immediately?
            Deferring writes until its time to ask for input offers a performance benefit. It results in less network traffic. That said, it may not matter anymore since today's networks are much faster than the ones that 5250 terminals were designed for. So, it depends on the speed of your network, but if yours is fast, it may not matter to you.

The most important thing to me is that FRCDTA is a keyword you place in your DDS, so will always be there. But, DFRWRT is an option on the compile command which must always be remembered, and any programmer who accidentally forgets will cause the application to stop working.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post
              But, DFRWRT is an option on the compile command which must always be remembered, and any programmer who accidentally forgets will cause the application to stop working.
              It's strange to hear that from you. A display file is usually developed as part of a project. For this project, some kind of build system must be used, even if it is even a regular CLLE file with build commands. Compiling each source code by hand is creepy.

Comment

Working...
              X