• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal procedure call compile error

I have lots of these:

@msg = 'MSG0101';
    exsr Sr_SndMsg;

Where the literal may be different.

So I changed the SndMsg routine to an internal procedure and replaced the code with:

SndMsg ('MSG0101');

but i get the following compile error:

*RNF7542 30 10 Parameter cannot be passed by reference when it can be changed during the call.

Please don't say this isn't possible?
    www.midlifegamers.co.uk

Re: Internal procedure call compile error

Here's the procedure I'm calling

Code:
    pPr_SndMsg        B                                                                  
    dPr_SndMsg        PI                                                                 
    d  @msgID                        7                                                   
     /free                                                                               

if @MsgFileName = *blanks;                                                         
        @MsgFileName = 'USRMSG';                                                         
      endif;                                                                             

// Send message to program message queue                                           
      if @MsgID <> *blanks ;                                                             
        callp pgm_sndmsgq (@PgmName:@PgmRelLVl:@MsgFileName:@MsgID:@MsgData:             
                           @MsgType);                                                    
      endif;                                                                             

// Reset after use.                                                                
      @MsgId = *blanks;                                                                  
      @MsgData = *blanks;                                                                
      @MsgFileName = *blanks;           

/End-Free                   

pPr_SndMsg        E
    Last edited by Huddy; June 10, 2013, 08:38 AM.
    www.midlifegamers.co.uk

Comment

If you want to pass your parameter by (constant) reference, i.e. passing a string, you need to add the keyword CONST to the parameter definition. Instead of CONST you may also use the keyword VALUE.

BTW you pass @MSGID2, but it is not used within your procedure!

Birgitta

Comment

yep, sorry was work in progress.

Changed to CONST and all works..

thanks
        www.midlifegamers.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X