ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HTML Emails and Images....How to include..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYCountryGal
    replied
    Re: HTML Emails and Images....How to include..

@Viking - I was on my way to the data center when I realized "Wait a minute. I can download the current version from the website and do what they told me to do and I should be good to go" I promptly turned the car around and headed back to the office. I am currently in the process of restoring one of the three Gumbo products as I type this. It's been a hellova morning today. HelpDesk tickets out the wazzu, co-workers on vacation - so its just the two of us (new IT admin, myself and the boss) and lots of stupid little issues. Couldn't get the ftp to work this morning because I had the new anti-virus software on my PC and it was blocking the download. Took us 30 minutes just to get that figured out before I could get the save files downloaded... it's been a morning ..... hopefully my afternoon goes much smoother.

BTW - glad to know that there is someone else using Gumbo Mail. Now I have someone I can talk to about issues.

Hope your having a great day!

Leave a comment:

• Viking
    replied

It's obviously a good idea to test, but I've never had any issue with Gumbo upgrades breaking anything.

But if you're testing anyway, why load/test/install to prod a new version that is one step up, and then have to go through it all again for the next version to bring you current? Since you're going through the testing anyway, why not just load the latest current version and test it? If everything is cool, then you install it to prod and you've saved yourself the trouble of testing the intermediary version.

Just my $.02

Leave a comment:

• NYCountryGal
    replied

@DeadMan - The emails are not currently generated by GumboMail - I found some code on the internet that I downloaded that will allow me to send HTML emails from the 400. This process uses the Mail server from the 400 ... and that is where my issues reside or at least did. I called Gumbo yesterday afternoon and was told that they have designed their software products to allow you to have multiple versions running so that you can have the previous version running in production and then you can load the new version and perform testing on it before moving it to production. So I'm going to the data center in a bit to load the first of the two versions to the box so that we can check to see if it causes any issues, and if not it will go into production and then I can load the next version (which provides the ability to send HTML emails from GumboMail) and then my issues are resolved. It's going to take me a couple of days -- but by the end of the month - we will be able to send HTML emails. Yay!!! And then it's time to do some serious system clean up and maintenance....

Thanks for your help everyone! I'll let you know in a few days when I have it all in production!

Leave a comment:

• DeadManWalks
    replied

Are these messages generated by Gumbo? So you stop and restart and send 1 email. The messages are there right then? did the email go through? If yes and yes then you do need the newest version.

If not, so if you can send mail using one of the other products on the box and if you have the same issue.

as far as monitoring the messages for completion, all you would know is if the beast passed off the email to the email server, Not the recipients email. If you want to know if the recipient got the email, you would have to play with your email server.

Leave a comment:

• NYCountryGal
    replied

@DeadMan - Huh??? I don't understand your first statement at all. And I've included a screen shot of just exactly what I need to monitor for.

PHP Code:
     Data area QTMMTCP created in library QTEMP.                        
    Integrated File System file open failed on file /tmp/QACXK464Y8    
    Job 887114
    /QMSF/QMSF stopped processing MSF message.               
    Integrated File System file open failed on file /tmp/QACX5XLAMV    
    Job 887114
    Integrated File System file open failed on file /tmp/QACXWTFLBR    
    Job 887114
    Integrated File System file open failed on file /tmp/QACX7ZP0PG    
    Job 887114
    /QMSF/QMSF stopped processing MSF message
    I keep getting these messages in the QMSF job and this is the detail behind the message:

PHP Code:
                              Additional Message Information                         

Message ID 
    . . . . . . :   TCP5101       Severity . . . . . . . :   30         
     Message type 
    . . . . . :   Diagnostic                                          
     Date sent  
    . . . . . . :   08/19/13      Time sent  . . . . . . :   17:14:21   

. . . . :   Integrated File System file open failed on file            

/tmp/QACXK464Y8                                                              
     Cause 
    . . . . . :   The RTCP function requires the use of an Integrated File   
       System file 
    /tmp/QACXK464Y8The errno return from the call is 3025.         
     Either this file is missing
    locked or damaged on the system and cannot be     
       used at this time

Recovery  . . . :   Stop Mail System Framework ie"ENDMSF" and restart        

"STRMSF".                                                                    

Check earlier entries in Job Log for possible reasons for this failure
    So I do the ENDSMF and I do the STRMSF and I'm good and then the next thing I know they show up again, and I have to go through the End and Start again. I have checked - none of those files are found on the IFS in that folder - so do I need to create those files and if I do - how do I create them? The SNDHTMLEML program I am using - is suppose to create a temporary file and the other day I could see it was working but now I don't see any files that were recently created. So do I have a job that is cleaning them off the system? You (DeadMan) know what its like here ... I've got to be proactive and have a way of knowing when this occurs so that I can stop and start and carry on without me having to do anything (a program has to be doing this) and so far I have found nothing on the web. I have to be able to tell the boss whether we can move forward or we have to scratch for now... I can use Gumbo but I have to get the two missing releases on and tested before I can use it though. I was hoping someone might have an idea where to find more information .. I don't mind doing the reading and research ... I just need to figure out where to find what I am looking for....

Leave a comment:

• DeadManWalks
    replied

Hey, since you are using the beast to just pass through the email to the email server you cant use the beast to tell you. The email server knows if it was delivered or not.

You could parse data from the email server to see if the message was delivered or not. This would have to be a separate job as the delivery may take minutes to deliver. You would have to make sure that the combination of the sender email and recipient email are unique, IE not used by anybody else in the company.

If you used the beast as a smtp server then you could use some APIs to get the data.

Leave a comment:

• NYCountryGal
    replied

@Viking - I agree with you - it looks like GumboMail can do this BUT .... we are two releases behind - so I don't have that available to me right now, and in order to get it available I need to install. Problem is we don't have a test box and my manager is as uneasy about installing the two releases directly to production as I am. I had an idea last night on the way home -- if I can install to a test library (I would need to create and get it to the same level before continuing) I might be able to get these on and do some testing. I need to talk to my manager but I am thinking this is an avenue worth investigating.

On a different note but same process -- since I am using the QMSF job -- how would I monitor this for issues? We need to know that the emails were sent to our clients and if there is a problem we need to know - IMMEDIATELY. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm not finding a whole lot on QMSF monitoring and so I am thinking I will need to create a process to monitor myself.

Leave a comment:

• Viking
    replied

NYCountryGal, you previously said you have GumboMail, and I think it might be able to do what you're requesting with *TEXTHTML on the OBJ keyword of GSENDMAIL if I'm understanding the manual correctly:
    Objects (OBJ)
    Specifies the path name of the object to send. A maximum of 64 path names can be specified.
    For more information on specifying path names, see Programming > Control language > CL concepts > IBM i
    objects > Object naming rules topic in the IBM i Information Center at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/.
    CHAR(5000)
    Single values
    *NONE No objects are sent.
    Element 1: Name
    path-name Specify an object path name.
    Element 2: Send as
    *ATTACH Send the object as an attached file using MIME and specifying "application/octet-stream".
    *TEXTPLAIN Copy the object into the body of the mail message specifying content type text/plain. The CCSID of the file must
    match the value specified for CHRENC().
    Chapter 6 Commands 47
    Note: Some servers disregard this request and form an attachment from the message in all cases. Some servers disregard
    this request for the second and subsequent body parts. If this is the case, try MSG(*NONE).
    *TEXTHTML Copy the object into the body of the mail message specifying content type text/html. The CCSID of the file must
    match the value specified for CHRENC().
    Note: Some servers disregard this request and form an attachment from the message in all cases. Some servers disregard
    this request for the second and subsequent body parts. If this is the case, try MSG(*NONE).
    *ATTACHPDF Send the object as an attached file using MIME and specifying "application/pdf". Use this value if the attached file
    contains Adobe's Portable Document Format (pdf) data.
    *ATTACHPS Send the object as an attached file using MIME and specifying "application/postscript". Use this value if the
    attached file contains postscript data.
    *NOTE Same as *TEXTPLAIN which is preferred.
    Element 3: Multipart/alternative group
    *NONE The object is not a member of a "multipart/alternative" group.
    1-9 Specify a group number for forming "multipart/alternative" groups. All objects with the same group number are
    members of a "multipart/alternative" in the generated email.
    Might be worth playing with it to possibly save you (and Scott) a bunch of custom work.
    Last edited by Viking; August 13, 2013, 04:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NYCountryGal
    replied

@Scott -- Sorry I haven't been in touch sooner... I've been out of the office for the last three days. If you could code up an example that would be most appreciated and would be quite useful .... and you can do it when you have time. The higher ups have all decided that what I have is acceptable for now, and when time permits later on I can revisit and make it nicer.

Thank you so much for the offer...

Roxann

Leave a comment:

• Scott Klement
    replied

I could code up an example of how to send an e-mail with the images included so you don't have this problem, but I would not be able to use the SNDHTMLEML command that you're using because it doesn't support this (though, I could modify it to support this...)

Unfortunately, I just don't have time right now, too much going on. But, if I can get to it later, would that be useful?

Leave a comment:

• NYCountryGal
    replied

Thank you all for your responses. I get it ... its like in Lotus when I get emails from vendors and I have the button at the top that says "Show Images" and I have to click on it to get the images to appear. Now to find out what the higher powers want to do...

Leave a comment:

• Scott Klement
    replied

The only way to make it show automatically is to include the image in the e-mail rather than linking to it on the web. Again, as I said earlier, this is a privacy concern. If an e-mail sender could just turn it off, that would enable those who would abuse this feature (such as viruses or spammers) to turn it off, too... and that defeats the purpose altogether.

The program you're using (SNDHTMLEML) does not look like it has the capability to embed images inside the html document.

One solution is to code your own e-mail using the multipart/related MIME type and with multiple parts, one for the HTML document, one for the image, and another one for each additional image. You could potentially modify SNDHTMLEML to do this.

Leave a comment:

• DeadManWalks
    replied

Hey Rox, It is a client side only. Nothing you can do.

Leave a comment:

• Scott M
    replied

As far as I know that is an option at the client only, you can't override it.

Leave a comment:

• NYCountryGal
    replied

@ScottM - I right clicked and selected show image and the image appeared. So my next question is -- is there code that I need to include so that it is automatically opened?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X