Goto Tag in Free Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goto Tag in Free Form

Is there a way to do Goto and Tags within free form? Is there a different way to do it without using Goto's and tags?

Re: Goto Tag in Free Form

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! DO NOT USE GOTO TAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, with that said....What are you trying to accomplish? Can you give us an example please?
    Your future President
    Bryce

---------------------------------------------
    http://www.bravobryce.com

Comment

You can not do goto in free, the opcode has been canned!

I'm with Bryce -- please give a detailed description of what you are trying
      to do....

thanks
      jamie
      All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
      and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Just example code.......I am going to change the in03 to not run below code if *on.

Code:

C     $start          tag  

/free                                       
          *in31 = *on;                               
          write commands1;                           
          write xrefctl01;                           
          *in31 = *off;                              

setll (ehtrdprt : ehbeg03) ep_850hdr1;     
          rrn1 = *zero;                              
          read ep_850hdr1;                           
          dow not %eof(ep_850hdr1);                  
           rrn1 += 1;                                
           write xrefsfl01;                          
           read ep_850hdr1;                          
          enddo;                                     

exfmt xrefctl01;                           
         /end-free                                   

C                   if        *in03 = *on                 
        C                   goto      $end                        
        C                   endif
        C                   if        *in05 = *on                 
        C                   goto      $start
        C                   endif

/free                                                    
          readc xrefsfl01;                                        
          dow not %eof(ep850xrffm);                               
            if actxrf = 'R';                                      
              exsr $reject;                                       
            endif;                                                
            if actxrf = 'A';                                      
              exsr $accept;                                       
            endif;                                                
          readc xrefsfl01;                                        
          enddo;                                                  
         /end-free                                                

C     $end          tag     

/free                                                    
          *inlr = *on;                                            
          return;                                         
         /end-free                                        
        C                   EndDo
        Last edited by Dhascup; January 30, 2008, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Wrap the whole thing inside a dow loop that is DOW not *in03;

then you can set *in03=*on; and it won't iterate anymore. Or, the better way, without indicators...

DOW (*insert some natural program stop such as some sort of EOF*)
          *if at anytime you would hit the condition that set *in03=*on; you just do a LEAVE; instead.
          That will jump you out of the loop

ENDDO

//now you do the ending
          *inlr=*on;
          return;

try not to use indicators for program control. Its messy, hard to read, and hard to get right.
          Your future President
          Bryce

Comment

you just do a LEAVE; instead.
            That will jump you out of the loop
            try not to use indicators for program control. Its messy, hard to read, and hard to get right.
            ..and LEAVE makes it easy to read?

next you'll be suggesting using ITER next...
            You don't stop playing games because you get old, You get old because you stop playing games!

Comment

LEAVE is nothing more than a goto. It's a bit of a marmite opcode. I guess it depends where you've come from. I learnt to program in Java first where such nasties are possible but generally avoided like the plague. My project manager cut his teeth on RPG II where he tells me GOTO and indicators were all you had. Having said that he agrees with me on the LEAVE opcode but not everyone does.
              Ben

Comment

I find it very useful for when I'm checking if the user pressed F3 or F12. The screen is in a loop of DOW not Exit or Return. Have them defined as F3 or F12 and if that then Leave. Maybe I'm doing this wrong, but at this point I don't know a better way... What do you suggest instead of using a LEAVE? As long as you are using LEAVE not in a nested loop it really is pretty straight forward. You get into trouble when you rely on it to jump 3 or 4 or more hops out of the structure...that is not good, I agree.

Please enlighten me.
                Your future President
                Bryce

Comment

If you need to exit processing immediately, and not execute the remainder of the code then probably something like:

Code:
                  Dow not F3 and not F12;

\\ some code

If not F3 and not F12;

\more code

Endif;

Enddo;
                  You don't stop playing games because you get old, You get old because you stop playing games!

Comment

So you reverse the logic and make your code inclusive instead of exclusive...

I see where you are going on this...I'll have to take a look at it later...I'd ask the question is which is more prone to error, but I'm guessing everybody would say that using the LEAVE would be more error prone...
                    Your future President
                    Bryce

Comment

something like this

Code:
                      d EndScreen1      s              1    inz('N')   

//--------------------------------------------------------     
                              // $Screen1 - parameter screen                                 
                              //--------------------------------------------------------     
                                   begsr $Screen1;                                           

reset  EndScreen1;                                        
                                    dow  EndScreen1 = 'N';                                   

if ScreenError = 'N';                                   
                                      $clearmsg('*' : *zero : *Blanks : '*ALL' : APIError);  
                                     endif;                                                  

write FKEY01;                                           
                                     write MSGCTL;                                           
                                     exfmt SUB01CTL;                                         
                                     $clearmsg('*' : *zero : *Blanks : '*ALL' : APIError);   
                                     reset ScreenError;                                      
                                     if Currec <> *Zeros;                                    
                                      RRN1  =  Currec;                                       

SCRRN =  Currec;                     
                                     endif;                                

select;                               
                                  //                                       
                                  // F3 pressed end the program F3 = LeaveP
                                  //                                       
                                      when  Choice = LeaveProgram;         
                                       EndScreen1 = 'Y';                   
                                  //                                       
                                  // F4 pressed vendor lookup              
                                  //                                       
                                      when  Choice = prompt;               

$VendorLookup(OutVendor     :       
                                                     OutName       :       
                                                     Inabreviation :       
                                                     Insubgroup    :       
                                                     InOptions             
                                                                   );      
                                  //                                            
                                  // Enter Key pressed                          
                                  //                                            
                                      when  Choice = enterKey;                  
                                       if c1vendor = *blanks;                   
                                     // exsr $validate;                         
                                       else;                                    
                                        exsr $search;                           
                                        if SQLGroup# > *zeros;                  
                                         clear c1vendor;                        
                                        else;                                   
                                         screenerror = 'Y';                     
                                         messageid   = 'PCH3201';               
                                         messagedata = &#37;trim(c1vendor);         
                                         messagelen = %len(%trim(messagedata)); 
                                         $sendmsg(messageID   :                 
                                                  messageFile :                 
                                                  messagedata :                 
                                                  messageLen  :                 
                                                  '*DIAG'     :                 

@PGM        :        
                                                  messagecsc  :        
                                                  messagekey  :        
                                                  APIError             
                                                              );       

endif;                         
                                       endif;                          

endsl;                           
                                     enddo;                            

endsr;

www.code400.com

Comment

I like your use of the select/when Jamie. I truly never thought of using that. Its still using an "indicator" type of boolean variable. This is acceptable and using an actual indicator is not? I think the stigma against indicators is that programmers will use the friggin indicator number instead of naming it and turning it off and on by name. On/Off or True/False or 'Y'/'N'. Its all the same.

I see that I can definitely get rid of the LEAVE but I don't think you can really get away from boolean control...
                        Your future President
                        Bryce

Comment

In the dds you define every friggen key as well as (INDARA) this will send the
                          HEX byte bit whatever back to the RPG program.
                          PHP Code:
                               A*&#37;%TS  SD  20080123  165037  FLANARY     REL-V5R4M0  5722-WDS             

A*%%EC                                                                     
                               A                                      DSPSIZ
                          (24 80 *DS3)                  

A                                      INDARA                              
                               A                                      CF01                                
                               A                                      CF02                                
                               A                                      CF03                                
                               A                                      CF04                                
                               A                                      CF05                                
                               A                                      CF06                                
                               A                                      CF07                                
                               A                                      CF08                                
                               A                                      CF09                                
                               A                                      CF10                                
                               A                                      CF11                                
                               A                                      CF12                                
                               A                                      CF13                                
                               A                                      CF14                                
                               A                                      CF15 
                               A                                      CF16                         
                               A                                      CF17                         
                               A                                      CF18                         
                               A                                      CF19                         
                               A                                      CF20                         
                               A                                      CF21                         
                               A                                      CF22                         
                               A                                      CF23                         
                               A                                      CF24                         
                               A N41                                  PAGEDOWN                     
                               A                                      PAGEUP 
                          Then in the RPG just attach a INFDS for me I just called it INFDS
                          Code:
                          fBRC06INTADcf   e             workstn INFDS(INFDS)       
                          f                                     SFILE(SUB01:RRN1)  
                          f                                     SFILE(SUB02:RRN2)  

// notice 369 = the hex code returned	                                                    
                          d Infds           ds                                   
                          d Choice                369    369                     
                          d Currec                378    379I 0  

// define the keys rename them to something that makes sense

// Command Keys                                         

d Cmd01           c                   const(x'31')       
                           d Cmd02           c                   const(x'32')       
                           d LeaveProgram    c                   const(x'33')       
                           d RetrieveLabel   c                   const(x'34')       
                           d Cmd05           c                   const(x'35')       
                           d Cmd06           c                   const(x'36')       
                           d Cmd07           c                   const(x'37')       
                           d PrintLabels     c                   const(x'38')       
                           d SaveLabels      c                   const(x'39')       
                           d CenterLine      c                   const(x'3A')       
                           d Cmd11           c                   const(x'3B')       
                           d Cmd12           c                   const(x'3C')       
                           d Cmd13           c                   const(x'B1')       
                           d Cmd14           c                   const(x'B2')       
                           d Cmd15           c                   const(x'B3')       
                           d Cmd16           c                   const(x'B4')       
                           d Cmd17           c                   const(x'B5')       
                           d Cmd18           c                   const(x'B6')            
                           d Cmd19           c                   const(x'B7')            
                           d Cmd20           c                   const(x'B8')            
                           d Cmd21           c                   const(x'B9')            
                           d Cmd22           c                   const(x'BA')            
                           d Cmd23           c                   const(x'BB')            
                           d Cmd24           c                   const(x'BC')            
                           d EnterKey        c                   const(x'F1')            
                           d RollUp          c                   const(x'F5')            
                           d RollDown        c                   const(x'F4')

www.code400.com

Comment

That's what I do. I don't do EVERY key on EVERY program, just the keys I need for that program.
                            Your future President
                            Bryce

Comment

I use it as a shell so I just keep em all there....

also when someone mods your program later on
                              they only have to look to the d specs and add a
                              function key......no need to compile the DDS

Your a very smart young man

www.code400.com

Comment

Working...
                              X