Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to /free

Hi All:

I just ran accross Craig Rutledge's programs for converting from fixed to /free. I highly recomend them.

From the page given above there is a link to "path to free" documentation and a link to utilities. All is open source and IMO does a far better job of conversion than IBM's lpex editor.

JCR4MAX converts z-add mult etc to eval statements in fixed format. It even does moves if both factor2 and result are alpha. It even allows conversion to all lower case/all upper case etc.

JCR5FPRT creates a fixed/free comparison report so you know exactly what to fix BEFORE converting.

JCR5FREE does the conversion

Hope this helps someone else, if not you can always get your money back because it's FREE.

GLS
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Re: Converting to /free

i just got those earlier today...what a coinkidink...but if you dig around in the source you'll see that you need to run CVTRPGSRC then run the JCR* commands over the converted source members. but i does somethings i like...moving *LIKE defined variables to D specs for one...now if he'd only done that for fields defined on normal calc specs...
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Originally posted by tomholden View Post
      ...moving *LIKE defined variables to D specs for one...now if he'd only done that for fields defined on normal calc specs...
      I'm surprised to hear you say that. The versoin that I have does convert variables defined in c-specs to d-specs.
      "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

Oof -- I forgot to post something about this. I just recently found out that the JCR stuff is available again. IIRC, at one point, it wasn't.
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/chippermiller

Comment

Another helpful thing that Craig wrote is called "A Path to /Free"

http://www.linkedin.com/in/chippermiller

Comment

At a site with good old fashioned SEU only
            I know.. I know... /me shakes head

Just out of interest - anyone got an updated link to the source for this?
            predictably positive, permanently punctilious, purposely proactive, potentially priceless, primarily professional : projex

Comment

ignore that... lesson learned = never type before googling..

predictably positive, permanently punctilious, purposely proactive, potentially priceless, primarily professional : projex

Comment

Best questions are those that answer themselves

Advertise that site!!!!

Projex Academy | The best online Project Management Training System | Project Managers learn with Projex for 20+ years | Get certified in record time GUARANTEED

jamie
                All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
                and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

You know CODE400 (the part of WDSC, not the website ;-) ) will convert your stuff over to /free... it skips over the incompatible stuff and leave it in C+ specs but it does work pretty well.

-JA
                  http://www.as400tutorials.com
                  Introducing The IBM i and AS/400 Training That 100% Guarantees You Will Learn Key Administration Tasks...

Comment

Originally posted by Finkpad View Post
                    At a site with good old fashioned SEU only
                    I know.. I know... /me shakes head
                    I mentioned Code/Wdsc/Rdi and was just faced with a lot of very old gray bearded blank stares and mutters...

these guys will only allow SEU and think all those Externally defined file types and new fangled inventions like Logical Files, IF/DO loops and any-opcode-introduced-since-1992 is quite neat....

TRUE STORY - I wrote a 30 line utility program to read a couple of files and update some flag settings.. the guy I'm working with complained so much about it being /FREE I had to inset little 'C's, take off the ';' and right adjust everything so that it became RPG3. honest.

(I'm changing my job title to CODE ARCHAEOLOGIST)

Comment

Working...
                    X