Procedure Pointers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procedure Pointers

I was just wondering if theres a way to call a procedure being referenced by a procedure pointer. Basically the free-format version of the below code

Code:
    D Procedure1         PR
    D Proc1                  S                          *          PROCPTR  INZ(%Paddr(Procedure1))
    C
    C                            CALLB                Proc1
    C                            EVAL                  *INLR = *ON
    C
    C
    P Procedure1         B
    D Procedure1         PI
    C
    C        'TEST'           DSPLY 
    P Procedure1         E
    Last edited by vikramx; June 20, 2008, 12:06 PM.

Re: Procedure Pointers

None of the free-format or RPG pros have any idea about this?

Comment

i haven't really done anything with procedure pointers...but CALLB is deprecated and really shouldn't be used anymore. CALLP is the best way to go. not quite sure about using procedure pointers to an internal procedure, i thought procedure pointers were only used for external (service program) procedures? but anyway maybe someone here has used them before...if i get a chance i'll see if i can play around with it some.
      I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

here's a link to an example i googled PROCPTR
        http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/eggyolk...activator.html

Comment

I checked the link but it doesnt seem to answer my question. Let me explain with an example

Ex: Say i have a procedure GetNumbers and i have mapped it to a procedure pointer variable ProcPtr1. Now if i execute CALLB ProcPtr1 then the procedure GetNumbers will be executed since thats the procedure ProcPtr1 points to. Now since CALLB isnt allowed in free-form i was wondering if theres another way to use the ProcPtr1 procedure pointer variable in free-from.

In short, i need an equivalent of CALLB in free-form or a way to access procedure pointers using CALLP.

Comment

CALLP should work. CALLP is the free-format replacement for CALL and CALLB.

Comment

ok here's a link to an article from ITJungle regarding pointers and proc pointers that should help.
              http://www.itjungle.com/mpo/mpo031303-story04.html
              seems that your prototype must be based on the pointer rather than setting a pointer to the address of the proc...but that's just at a cursory glance at the article.

Comment

here's a good one! http://www.astradyne-uk.com/manuals/gd002102.pdf
                of course anything by Jon Paris and the gang has gotta be good

Comment

Thanks a lot Tom, i';ll try these methods out and see if it works in my case.

Comment

I tried the ITJungle link and found what i was looking for. The PDF file by Jon Paris and gang didnt quite explain what i wanted. Anyways thanks a lot Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X