ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating two PDF documents with OVRPRTF & placing a link to #1 in #2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating two PDF documents with OVRPRTF & placing a link to #1 in #2.

Hello,

I'm using two external print files to create two documents - an account statement (#1) and a coverpage (#2). We're using V7R1 in my shop, and OVRPRTF DEVTYPE(*AFPDS) TOSTMF(/home/myname/test.pdf) WSCST(*PDF) is working very nicely.

However, I'd like to place a link within the coverpage to the account statement document. There is a field in my external print file named LINK, and it contains <a href="/home/myname/test.pdf">Account Statement</a>. When I write to the external print file and the PDF is created, the entire link is spelled out---it isn't an actual html-type "link" within the PDF document.

Thank goodness for newbie forums, because this is probably a real noob question. Does anyone have a tip for me?

Kim

Re: Creating two PDF documents with OVRPRTF &amp; placing a link to #1 in #2.

try writing it like this
    PHP Code:
    /<< //URI /URI (/home/myname/test.pdf)>> 
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Thanks Jamie - I get the same result. The output looks like this:

This packet contains:
      /A << /S /URI /URI (/home/myname/test.pdf)>>Account Statements</a>

Maybe I need to code it in an Adobe-specific way, and not use HTML? Grasping at straws here. I've been searching Adobe.com, but all the "how to add link" info I find has to do with Adobe Reader. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the response, Jamie!

Kim

Comment

Kim,

That was the adobe way of adding a link...O dont have any experience with this so I was guessing.

Could you change the URL to an actual webpage starting with Http://www. and see if that works for you?

Jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

Same problem. The output is:

This packet contains:
          /A << /S /URI /URI (http://www.unitedheritage.com)>>Account Statements</a>

I was going through a bunch of gyrations before trying this---
          Writing the output to a flat file, reading through the file & adding a link, converting the file to HTML using CPYSPLIFS and placing it in the IFS of our remote iSeries using /QfileSvr.400/remoteiSeries/home/myname as the stream file directory. Maybe I should just stick with how I was doing it before.

Comment

The link you showed in the original document wont work. It will have to be the full link to the account statement.

ie:

Michael Catalani
            IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
            Acceptance Insurance Corporation
            www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
            www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

It also appears that, based upon the way it looks like you are doing this, that account statements will be able to be read by anyone. Access to the folder to the account statements should be secure, and the only way to access them is thru a web program which forces the customers to login in in order to access them. Otherwise, anyone is going to be able to pull up that directory and see anyone else' account statements.
              Michael Catalani
              IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
              Acceptance Insurance Corporation
              www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
              www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Originally posted by jamief View Post
                Kim,

That was the adobe way of adding a link...O dont have any experience with this so I was guessing.

Could you change the URL to an actual webpage starting with Http://www. and see if that works for you?

Jamie
                Same result -

This packet contains:
                /A << /S /URI /URI (http://www.unitedheritage.com)>>Commission Statements</a>

Prior to this I was going through several steps - writing the cover page output to a spooled file, inserting a link into that file, then executing a CPYTOSTMF type HTML to the IFS of our iSeries. This was working, it's just long & involved. I was hoping I could write an HTML link and have OVRPRTF DEVTYPE(*AFPDS) TOSTMF(/home/myname/test.pdf) WSCST(*PDF) take care of it. Oh well. Thanks anyway!

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelCatalani View Post
                  It also appears that, based upon the way it looks like you are doing this, that account statements will be able to be read by anyone. Access to the folder to the account statements should be secure, and the only way to access them is thru a web program which forces the customers to login in in order to access them. Otherwise, anyone is going to be able to pull up that directory and see anyone else' account statements.
                  Thanks, Michael - at this point, I just want to make sure I can create a link, and it's appearing that I can't. Bah!

As for security, these documents are only available on our secure website after authenticated login. Each user has a folder in the IFS that only they have access to. We offer other documents in this manner, and it's working very well. No one can get into anyone else's folder to see anything. Right now I'm just trying to test & see if I can link these two documents together as PDFs. It looks like I'll go back to the CPYTOSTMF type HTML for the cover page and add a link to the account statement PDF file.

Thanks,

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by jamief View Post
                    Kim,

Jamie
                    Jamie, I've posted two responses and they don't seem to come through. I tried the whole URL, and received the same result - all text written out, not as an actual link.

Kim

Comment

sorry Kim the security on your ID was less than correct
                      you should be okay now.

thanks
                      jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

Ah, security. That seems to always be my problem. Ha! Thanks, Jamie!

Kim

Comment

Working...
                        X