System i Navigator integration with V5R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System i Navigator integration with V5R2

For the past few weeks, I've had my Model 250 system here with V5R2 on it, trying to get things sorted out the best I can. So far, I've had a bit of fun looking through the menus, getting a few things looked at with a friend that knows a lot more than I do, but I'm running into a few stumbling points where managing and setting up the system is concerned.

The first big thing I've been looking at, is System i Navigator since that seems like it's going to be a pretty big part of really making the most of the system. I have the software talking to the server, but only partially. I can't connect to my server using "Management Central" at all, and that service refuses to start manually. I'm also unable to start "HTTP Administration" or "i5/OS NetServer".

I've done some research on this already, and every step I've been able to find that wasn't directly related to adding any kind of SSL certificate to the machine is something I've gone ahead and taken care of. However, it looks like I need these functions (or some of them at least) in order to get that certificate on the machine.

So here it is, my first big newbie question: How can I get Management Central connected?

If it helps, here's a link to hardware information on my system. I can also try and make a list of the installed software I have licenses for as well if someone can tell me how to get a full list in the spool output. One thing I'm wondering about is whether or not I have enough RAM, with only 256 megs that all seems to be pretty close to used up. I plan on ordering some on eBay next week, to try and bring the machine to a full gigabyte when I have some money.

Re: System i Navigator integration with V5R2

To start, V5R2 is old enough that a lot of details might be forgotten by some of us. I recall that V5R1 required really correct TCP/IP configurations for MgtC and for Netserver; I'm not sure if V5R2 relaxed the requirements much.

In general, the CFGTCP command brings up a menu; and options 1='Work with TCP/IP interfaces', 10='Work with TCP/IP host table entries' and 12='Change TCP/IP domain information' need to be correct and in clear agreement with each other. I think the most common problem was an incorrect setting for the domain information.

If you're working with a twin-ax terminal (and without Netserver), it won't be easy to get a screen-copy of your domain information panel. If you have a telnet connection, copy/paste of the screen text would be very helpful here.
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the help, I appreciate it. I know my version is pretty old here, and I really wish my 400 was capable of handling at least V5R4.

I think the settings should be at least somewhat decent, but I'm not sure. I've taken a few screenshots using a telnet client and have posted them to this public Google+ album. Let me know if there's anything I missed?

Comment

In your host table entry for 192.168.1.150, you have [ alfred ] as the primary host name and [ alfred.wcc.lcl ] as an alias. First thing to do is reverse those. Make [ alfred.wcc.lcl ] the primary with [ alfred ] as an alias. That was needed for V5R1; not sure about V5R2 since I made sure all names were properly formed by then and never tested.

One thing we'll definitely want to know is your cume/group PTF levels. Those need to be good before advice at V5R2 will be reliable. Use the WRKPTFGRP command to show most info.

Also at V5R2, there were various MgtC/Netserver PTFs that weren't in cume packages. It might be necessary to track some down.

You have a V5R2 license (congratulations!), but do you know if a V5R3 license is available?

p.s. That's one of the better TCP/IP configurations I've seen for a first look.
        Last edited by tomliotta; August 29, 2014, 01:46 AM. Reason: Add p.s.
        Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

I had some pretty good help from a friend that walked me through the installation of V5R2 and helped get things set up for the network. And I suspect I could probably get keys for V5R3, but after having just spent a couple weeks working with and waiting on IBM I don't feel like I want to push my luck just yet. Maybe in a few months I might give a request another shot. I would have gone with V5R3 to start with, but I took my friend's advice, figuring my machine might just be too slow. I'll also be getting some more RAM soon.

I've put together a pastebin of the results of the WRKPTFGRP command, which you can find right here.

If all you need are the basic numbers, it looks like I have:

SF99519 Level 189
          SF99502 Level 25

P.S. I also went ahead and made those hostname changes, do I need to restart TCP/IP when I do that?
          Thanks again!

Comment

I don't recall about restarting TCP/IP at V5R2. I'd do it on general principle, though host table changes should be okay.
            Tom

Comment

I just wanted to pop up and say thanks, though I'm still at a bit of a loss. I did try the TCP/IP restart, etc. and as much of what you mentioned as I could do, including link to the results of that question you asked regarding my PTF levels and wasn't sure if there was anything else I could do? I thought I'd reply to this when my new main storage upgrade from eBay arrived, but my machine isn't acting all that happy with it.

Comment

Are you still having issues starting management central? If so:
                What happens when you issue the STRTCPSVR *MGTC command? Do the servers start? The server job name is QYPSJSVR and if it fails to start, there should be a joblog.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Johnston View Post
                  I thought I'd reply to this when my new main storage upgrade from eBay arrived, but my machine isn't acting all that happy with it.
                  I don't know if I can locate appropriate docs for a 250. Do you have the info on what chips can go in which slots? There may be some restrictions on how they can be positioned, depending on what chips you bought and what is already in place.
                  Tom

Comment

Oof, I had taken a while too long to write my reply apparently. Lost my connection to the forum and had to rewrite this.

Originally posted by john.sev99 View Post
                    Are you still having issues starting management central? If so:
                    What happens when you issue the STRTCPSVR *MGTC command? Do the servers start? The server job name is QYPSJSVR and if it fails to start, there should be a joblog.
                    Well, funny story about that.

It works now.

I had tried that before, and seen the job log (which admittedly confused me greatly when I was looking at it before), so I fired things up to get that information for you today and as soon as I loaded the System i Navigator software and connected to the machine... it said there were new plugins to install, installed them happily and went on its merry way. Now, everything just works perfectly. I hadn't done anything on the software side since making a few cleanup tweaks to TCP/IP after Tom's posts, and power cycled the system a few times after that trying to get the new RAM working. The RAM may not be working, but now the management software and I think everything else is working correctly. So I'll count that as a win.

Originally posted by tomliotta
                    I don't know if I can locate appropriate docs for a 250. Do you have the info on what chips can go in which slots? There may be some restrictions on how they can be positioned, depending on what chips you bought and what is already in place.
                    I found a fairly bare-bones manual about installing memory on a 250, and it didn't say anything about ordering the chips in a specific way. It looks like my system came with a pair of 128MB 3022 cards, and the ones I had purchased on the advice of a more knowledgeable friend (and his even more knowledgeable sources) were 3004s. I put those in the two slots directly beneath the original 3022s and that didn't work so I replaced the 3022s with just the 3004s and that didn't work either. So now I guess I'm left with trying to figure out if what I have is the correct stuff.

If it's the right stuff and just defective, I can get an exchange. If its wrong, I'll wind up eating a restocking fee and paying about twice as much for 3024s from what I can see. Ouch. If there's anyone that knows an answer to that, I'd appreciate it. I can't find anything that tells me if the 3004s should work or not, so far.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help so far. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X