Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hide Parameter on call command

Hi Guys ,

I need to hide the password parameter which i am manually passing in the sbmjob call command .I use it basically remote FTP some data into my box.Also i would like it not appear in job logs as well.

The FTP command does not accept a password.

Please explain the situation better.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post
      The FTP command does not accept a password.

Please explain the situation better.
      ok I am basically trying to fetch some data from another box for which i am trying ftp .

The ftp command doesn't take the password although .
      I keep the user name pass (Which i pass to my program through sbmjob which shows the parameter password or the parm i want to hide )followed by different commands created in a file and ovrdbf file before calling the ftp command
      that way all the commands are executed in the file automatically when the real ftp command executes.

Comment

Okay, so first of all, to keep this password secure, you must not allow anyone access to the file where you are storing the commands.

One common approach to avoiding that is to build the file when it is needed. Write a program that creates the FTP command file in the QTEMP library, then runs the FTP command, then deletes the FTP command file. The QTEMP library is different for each job, so users will never be able to look at this file.

In order to store the password that you will use to build this file, you can use encryption. Encrypt the password when storing, and the program that writes the FTP command file can read it and decrypt it before writing the file.

Alternately, stop using the IBM FTP command and use something more secure.

Remember, even if you protect this file, the password is still sent over the network. So anyone with access to the network (if this is going over the Internet, this is a MUCH bigger problem) can find the password even if it is stored 100% securely on your IBM i. Replacing FTP with something more secure such as sftp, http w/TLS, etc will solve these problems and many more.

Comment

Working...
        X