logs for past user actions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• logs for past user actions

I'm a relatively new user to the AS400 i series. I've done some simple stuff such as running processes, creating users, answering break messages and errors, etc. Right now I am trying to figure out what process another user used to run in the past since and was wondering if there was a way for me to find a log of the user's past actions to run it so that we can document the process properly.

I am hoping that someone here has run into a similar situation and can help. I'm basically trying to figure out where they went to initiate the process and what menu option they chose, since there is very little documentation on it.

I might need to look back a few months to find the information, but is there somewhere I can pull up a log and find out at least how they started the process?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

I assume you're actually running IBMi, not "AS400 i series" [sic].

IBMi has that kind of logging, but it's not often used. If your IBMi logs command entry, try this from a 5250 command line:
    1. CPYAUDJRNE ENTTYP(CD) JRNRCV(*CURCHAIN)
    2. STRSQL
    3. select * from QTEMP.QAUDITCD
    If you're auditing commands, that will show every command in the log.

HTH

Comment

Thank you, I will try that.

Though I think the process was started from selecting an option on a custom menu. It's a tricky situation because I am trying to figure out what they did with no documentation or anything to follow.

That's why I was hoping there was a log of user actions or something in the joblogs I might be able to use to find where to start.

I don't suppose there's a way to find out what station the user was on at the time?

Comment

Well, it didn't work. I don't have the authority to use that command.

I don't suppose there's a way to find out from looking at the user's past joblogs?

Comment

If you have the logs yes. But that is going to get tedious very quickly.

Can you use either of the functions identified here? https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...cesmessage.htm

If those are verbotten too then I would suggest converting the log files to a table so that at least they can be searched more easily.

But the better bet is to get someone who does have the authority to run this stuff for you. No point in trying to do the job with one hand tide behind your back.

Comment

• cronot2
            cronot2 commented
            Editing a comment
            I must be doing it in the wrong place since it is saying that the "select command is not allowed in this setting".

I don't suppose you know a way to see where a batch job is pulling information for forms it sends to the printer?

• JonBoy
            JonBoy commented
            Editing a comment
            1) which select command?
            2) What "setting" are you doing it in
            3) I don't understand the connection here. Or exactly what you are asking.
        Working...
        X