Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read infinite Loop

Hello,

I have 1 physical file with 4 entries. Im reading this file with DOW not %eof and a read but i stuck at the first record and it goes to a infinite loop.
    I dont know why and how can i get to the next entry ? i tried it with iter but doesnt work.

Code:
    /free                  
     Read TEST;           
       dow not %eof;       
       do something          
       ExSr $testsr;        
       enddo;              
     *inlr=*on;            
    /end-free              
    Endsr;

Your only read is outside your loop, so it never reads more than one row.

Comment

When you use this technique (often referred to as a priming read), you also need to be sure to include a read _within_ the loop. in this case it should precede the enddo.
      Last edited by JonBoy; July 9, 2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Ok i just solved the problem but then i look at my output the programm reads the last record twice. How can i solve this ?

Comment

What does your code look like now so we can help?

Comment

Hard to say when we don't know what you changed your code to. Can you share the updated code?

Personally I prefer this to a priming read:
            Code:
            DoU %EOF(TEST);
              Read TEST;
              If %EOF(TEST);
                Leave;
              EndIf;
              // do something

EndDo;
            That way there is only one line where the record is read. It's not as big an issue with native IO, but in SQL the equivalent to a READ is a FETCH statement, which can be a lot larger than "READ x"

P.S. you should always include the filename in %FOUND and %EOF, as in my example. Otherwise it merely refers to the last IO operation performed. So if somewhere within //do something you were doing another READ on another table, it could affect TEST's loop

Comment

• JonBoy
              JonBoy commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting. I dislike this method because it makes it harder to differentiate between first read and subsequent. EOF on first read is probably/possibly an error (i.e. empty input file). But on all other reads it is an expected condition. with your approach it is much harder to differentiate the two. I should not that I invariably add a comment

// Loop priming read

Or something similar to warn those who use your technique.
          Working...
          X