Code Editor help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code Editor help

Hello all. We are getting an upgrade (Huzzah!) and we'll be moving from 5.4 (yes, you read that correctly) to 7.3 on a shiny new box. Great. However, I've only ever used PDM for source entry, and I know that will no longer cut the mustard, and I believe the replacement is RDI (Is that correct?) so my question is - what is the best way of doing this? Is it a big jump? (Sounds like!) Is it easy to install/set up? Does anyone know how the Arcad change management product fits into it? Sorry for all the questions, but I am ery much a 'noob' in this area. Any help/pointers much appreciated.

Hi there,

How exciting! You're going to love the enhancements. While it probably sounds a little scary, moving to RDi is much easier than it seems and thankfully there are some online resources to help you on your way. I'd recommend having a read through the labs here on how to set up your RDi https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/how-learn-rdi#online . Installation and setup by following this guide tends to be hassle free.

Now while you can still compile through the green screens, I do recommend learning this through RDi, as well as debugging and accessing spooled files, as you'll find so many enhancements which really do improve your quality of life as a developer.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Arcad CM so hopefully someone else can advise.

Good luck and enjoy your new features

Comment

Ah that looks like just what I need! As for new features... the ones that really caught my eye are the RPGLE language enhancements - particularly the new arrays. They are... interesting(!) I'd love to have been a fly-on-the-wall when that was designed. Life is a compromise, I guess.

Comment

Well (much as I hate to say it) PDM/SEU will continue to work on your new box. But they have not been enhanced in any way since V6 - and even that was marginal. In other words you won't see any differences from what you use now.

That said - Yes - you should embrace RDi and IBM offer a 120 day free trial.

In addition to the videos that Ghost identified my partner Susan Gantner has a quick start guide and other resources which you can find here: http://systemideveloper.com/download...tartGuide.html

Also we have written many articles on RDi which you can link to here: https://authory.com/JonParisAndSusan...collection=RDi

Last but not least we have two full day workshops coming up - a Quick Start and and an Intermediate session see details here: http://systemideveloper.com/Summit/sessiongrid.html

Comment

• Ghost +
          Ghost + commented
          Editing a comment
          Aha! It just clicked who you were! You and Susan do awesome work and your articles have been a go to for myself and my trainees over the years. And while I don't identify as a geezer, those guides are reference-material-gold. Thank you (from past, present and future me) for the hard work you both have put in

• JonBoy
          JonBoy commented
          Editing a comment
          Bless you Ghost for those kind words. Those are the things I try to remember when wrestling with the 5th rewrite of a topic that just doesn't want to lay down!

Thats great - thanks Jon I will study those with interest.

Comment

To clarify one thing about JonBoy's comment that SEU will still work but has not been enhanced since v6. That means its built in code validator does not support newer features like all free format. So while you can edit and save RPGLE code with (for example) free format D specs, it will tell you there are errors in the code. The only way to work around that is disable error checking entirely.

But once you try RDi's code editor, you will never look back to SEU - syntax highlighting, arrows to show conditional block nesting, hover over a variable to see its definition, ctrl-click a variable to go to definition, ctrl-click a subroutine or subprocedure call to go to it, outline view showing you all the definitions, as you type code validation, code complete, and so much more.

Comment

Yes, thank you VS. I was vaugely aware that SEU wouldn't just cease to exist, but it wouldn't recognise new features. Thanks again.

Comment

You will find that a combination of RDI and PDM/SEU is very usefull.
              Sometimes it is easier to use PDM. And many times it is easier to use RDI.

One of the things I think you will be happy to use in RDI, is member filters.
              If you are solving several cases you can create a member filter per case giving you a better overview of
              the sources you are changing.

But I think the first thing is to start using it as an editor replacing PDM. Then you can start to explore what it can.
              And I can recomment the articles referred to in other posts.

Comment

• jtaylor___
                jtaylor___ commented
                Editing a comment
                "You will find that a combination of RDI and PDM/SEU is very usefull."
                I could not more strongly disagree, but to each his own.
            Working...
            X