AS400e 9426-170 Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS400e 9426-170 Tower

Hello and thank you in advance. I am selling an IBM AS400e 9426-170 tower for the company I work for, and don't know anything about it. I have a potential buyer who asked me if it will IPL to OS/400 and I don't know how to answer their question. Could anyone help me with this?

In layman's terms:

IPL basically means boot to the operating system successfully
    OS/400 is the name of the operating system*

*I don't know enough about this part of things to know if OS/400 is the only OS it may have on it, or if it may have a different OS

Comment

Vectorspace Thanks for the reply. How would I know if it boots into the OS? I'm assuming the data portion has been wiped and I'm unsure of what IP it may have.

Comment

AS400_Newb that I don't know I'm afraid, sorry

Comment

AS400_Newb the potential buyer may be able to help you

Comment

Originally posted by Vectorspace View Post
            AS400_Newb the potential buyer may be able to help you
            I was thinking that too. If you can attach a monitor and get a sign on screen. Does the seller have a user profile and password ?
            If so, then perhaps the seller can talk through what they want to see for O/S etc...

Comment

Where is the system located? We may know someone locally who can take a look. When was it last operating? Are any terminals connected? etc. etc. Lovely as this Code400 list is it is not really a good place for such questions. Nearly all the hardware folks hang out at Midrange.com on the midrange list. There is also a Hobbyist group on Reddit or somewhere.

Of course you could contact Dr. Franken (https://www.frankeni.com) because what the good Doctor doesn't know about the system hardware and OS is not worth knowing.

Comment

P.S. Have you looked on eBay? Most model 170s seem to sell for well less than $1,000 - mostly because they are way too old to run a current (or even close to current) version of the Operating System. Selling it (as opposed to selling for electronic scrap) may be more trouble than it is worth.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I will take them in to consideration, especially asking the buyer about the IPL. The original buyer found another unit instead.

As for the electronic scrap idea, I am all for it, but my boss thinks we can make something off all our old equipment.

Comment

Working...
                  X