No announcement yet.

Completely out of my depth....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V5R4 - that is an old machine - but not old enough to be an AS/400. I hope this isn't a publicly traded company or they are in big trouble with an OS that old.

Where are you physically located? You need experienced help fast! I appreciate your enthusiasm for trying to resolve this but in all honesty, you are =going to do more harm than good. For example, with the right sign on Id it is highly likely that a version of that display file is in the library list - it just isn't in yours. I doubt any file has been deleted - you just have the wrong library list (i.e. path). This is all stuff you can easily be taught - but not like this - you need someone either there or screen sharing with you who knows what they are doing.

It would also help us to know _why_ they are apparently trying to resurrect this ancient system - there are multiple ways to skin a cat but you have to know why you are doing it.

Comment

2nd JonBoy's post

Comment

​The error I get after the reboot is

"Message queue ACS is allocated to another job.
        Session or device error occurred in file WHDF220 (C D G F)."

We're in Iowa, and I just tracked down a local company that handles these servers.

I completely agree that the next step to pull in external help, someone that can screenshare/work on it ASAP. This is a production system, so we're not exactly trying to resurrect anything but keep it going. (unfortunately, ha.)

Comment

Originally posted by Graysoul View Post

We're in Iowa, and I just tracked down a local company that handles these servers.

I completely agree that the next step to pull in external help, someone that can screenshare/work on it ASAP. This is a production system, so we're not exactly trying to resurrect anything but keep it going. (unfortunately, ha.)
          Ask them to take a look at your backup jobs, if there are any.

Comment

Originally posted by MFisher View Post
            Ask them to take a look at your backup jobs, if there are any.

10-4! ( ^_^)7

Comment

You could try contacting Rich Ollari at:
              Tree Line Solutions
              (802) 684-0790
              rich.ollari@treelinesolutions.com

Rich has a pool of IBM i programmers available for short and long-term jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                You could try contacting Rich Ollari at:
                Tree Line Solutions
                (802) 684-0790
                rich.ollari@treelinesolutions.com

Rich has a pool of IBM i programmers available for short and long-term jobs.
                IF the local folks can't do it, I will immediately reach out to Rich

Comment

Did you resolve it ?

Comment

Yes! It was resolved yesterday by the local company.

So, we were nearly there. The DSPF file that was recovered from XXXXXXXX2 was correct and hadn't been changed since 2012. The next problem was (if I understand it correctly) that they had 10,000 records to list in that DSPF, but the field that displays that count only allowed for 4 digits, so when it hit 10k, it locked everything up. The local company was able to move the oldest records to a different library (or is it file?) to give them some breathing room. Next steps are to talk about backups and other upgrades. I think that this has been an eyeopener for them, and I think there will be changes incoming. The local company will take things over and I'm gonna keep tabs on it, and hopefully learn stuff along the way.

Thanks M and Jon for your help. Really, I couldn't have gotten as far as I did without your help!

I'll be going through and editing these posts for the client's privacy later today. (Could you both please do the same for any commands with identifiable names?)

Comment

Working...
                    X