Does HTTPAPI Use Java In Any "Shape or Form"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does HTTPAPI Use Java In Any "Shape or Form"

As of now, I do not have the current LIBHTTP library. I'm curious if it uses Java in any way shape or form.

Unless Scott has slipped something new in there it does not. All pure RPG mapping to underlying C functions.

Why do you care though?

Comment

• TheZenbudda
      TheZenbudda commented
      Editing a comment
      there are many valid reasons to care. i personally don't. but then again i don't make the "big decisions" here. ;-)

If it uses Java, you should see in the joblog it starting the JVM.

Comment

• TheZenbudda
      TheZenbudda commented
      Editing a comment
      In my historical experience with httpapi, i haven't seen run any jvm jobs. But I have not used all features of the library.

No, it does not. Why do you ask?

Comment

there is an aversion to java in my group and someone said they saw the HTTPAPI library uses java. the last time i worked with HTTPAPI i did not see or interact with any java. however i did not want to make that assumption since i did not dig deep into the code.

Comment

Originally posted by TheZenbudda View Post
        there is an aversion to java in my group and someone said they saw the HTTPAPI library uses java. the last time i worked with HTTPAPI i did not see or interact with any java. however i did not want to make that assumption since i did not dig deep into the code.
        IBM's built-in SQL functions use Java (https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...tpoverview.htm). I like them, but my biggest problem is that they don't respect user CLASSPATH. For that reason, I continue to use HTTPAPI.

Comment

jtaylor

you're delving into exactly what i'm thinking "this person with an aversion to java" is finding.

can you elaborate on the "they don't respect user classpath" issue you mentioned?

also, are there performance issues related to the avid usage of sql/java functions? (ie. httppostclob etc)?

Comment

Originally posted by TheZenbudda View Post
            jtaylor

you're delving into exactly what i'm thinking "this person with an aversion to java" is finding.

can you elaborate on the "they don't respect user classpath" issue you mentioned?

also, are there performance issues related to the avid usage of sql/java functions? (ie. httppostclob etc)?
            The CLASSPATH problem is only an issue if you run your own Java code. The IBM code ignores your CLASSPATH and uses its own to start the JVM. This will cause your Java code to fail (or the IBM code to fail if your code already started the JVM). If you don't run other Java, this would be a non-issue.
            Ref:

Other than the initial JVM startup, I can't imagine there'd be serious performance issues with IBM SQL tools.

Comment

Originally posted by jtaylor___ View Post

The CLASSPATH problem is only an issue if you run your own Java code. The IBM code ignores your CLASSPATH and uses its own to start the JVM. This will cause your Java code to fail (or the IBM code to fail if your code already started the JVM). If you don't run other Java, this would be a non-issue.
              Ref:

Other than the initial JVM startup, I can't imagine there'd be serious performance issues with IBM SQL tools.

This is why we aren't using the IBM HTTP HTTP built-in functions. Would love to use them, but they broke our spreadsheet creating programs which use JVM. Luckily jtaylor___ replied to one of my cries for help and told me what was going on!

Your friends list is empty!

Comment

Working...
            X