Apache Server on Old Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache Server on Old Box

Have a client on an old IBM box running version 4.3 asking if Apache servers can be used on that old of a system. The don't use it much and run it in S/36 mode (I know, I know).

What do you mean by "the Apache servers"?

Comment

In old days IBM had it's own IBM HTTP Server (don't know exactly how it was called) and it's configuration file looks different than the apache one.
      The Apache HTTP Server was introduced some releases later.
      If I not complete wrong it was V5R1 or V5R2.

Comment

IBM had an original HTTP server based on the CERN server years ago, and then they added the IBM HTTP Server (powered by Apache), in... I think... V4R3. But, it's hard to remember that far back, so I could be wrong about which release it was. They supported both of them until... I think... V5R1 when they discontinued the original server. I may have the releases wrong.

Is that the Apache server you're referring to, Eric? Apache makes hundreds of things, so there are other servers you could call "Apache servers", such as Tomcat that is also popular on IBM i. It would help to be more specific.

Comment

I think that client is good. No connection to outside network. Version 4.3 of what I think was called the "Baby/400"(???) in S36 mode. They only use it sparingly as they moved to a differently platform entirely. They got nervous about the log4j issue....

Comment

And no third party software...

Comment

Are you referring to Baby/400 from California Software (later owned by Infinite Corp.)? This is an old 3rd party software that emulates OS/400 -- it is not an actual AS/400. (Note that I'm using the terms "OS/400" and "AS/400" here because this software was based on 1990s code, not the more modern IBM i platform.)

Since that's not the actual IBM software, I have no idea if it supports IBM products like the IBM HTTP server. I would it assume it doesn't, but I don't know...

Comment

I was just guessing at the name. I cannot remember the actual box type but it is an old, very small AS/400 running s/36 mode. They do not use it except for some historical data retrieval. They did not want to purchase a new system so they contracted ICS ( and in turn, me) to create an Access database for them. That was fun.... NOT... :-)

Comment

Working...
                X