Looking for a method to see the full IFS file name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a method to see the full IFS file name

What I am running into a file names with random number of spaces or unprintable characters at the tail and I would like to see what they are and how many characters exist.

Suggestions?

Re: Looking for a method to see the full IFS file name

In WRKLNK, place an 8 next to the file, hit enter to see its attributes. Then place your cursor on the file name, and hit F22 to Display entire field.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

Been through that, it does not give me an idea of how many spaces are at tail or unprintable characters exist.

Comment

Have you tried the RTVDIRINF command?

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

Usually when this happens it's a mistake so the developer just deletes or renames the file (this can be done by using wildcard to match the unknown portion)

I suppose if you really want to know what the unprintable characters are, you could use the IFS APIs to find out, but.. why?

Comment

You could try od in qshell. This command shows the character and hex versions of the name of a file that begins with Hello.

Code:
            ls Hello* | od -cx

Comment

the issue I was facing/am facing was with replication of entries from one system to another as well as a developer written purge process that could not delete the entries. They had done a trim on the name retrieved and the spaces were important but then it was found out that they may not all be spaces.

Comment

Working...
              X