Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IFS - Can't access via Windows explorer unless I map a drive

Bit of a weird one.

To access the IFS I use windows explorer shortcuts that point to \\[server ip]\root. Recently one of our clients bought a brand new iSeries and now my shortcut for that machine doesn't work.

It comes up with; "windows can't find \\[server id]\root" but the weird thing here is that it has no issue mapping a drive to said location and following doing that the shortcut starts working...

I've compared the netserver properties to other machines and I can't seem to see a difference that matters, any idea what other settings I can check that would affect this?

Making the root a share is a really bad idea - there was a recent discussion over on midrange.com about the reasons why.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

• RDKells
      RDKells commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't disagree but it's out of my hands.

• RDKells
      RDKells commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't suppose there's a discussion on there that answers my question?

To me, this sounds like it is getting confused when it comes to name resolution. SMB/CIFS (aka "Windows Networking") has a long history, and there are different ways of communicating the system names. DNS is the obvious one, but there are also ways that involve the computers sharing their names over a local network automatically, sometimes doing stuff like holding elections to pick the master on the network, and other things... lots of complexity, and I don't remember the details, its been far too long. I do know that it has far more problems when you aren't on the same local subnet.

Anyway, to me it sounds like its getting confused. I've seen this before when you do something like \\myserver\root\directory\directory\file.txt vs. just \\myserver\root. When you do the latter, it'll find and connect it. When you do the former, it'll only work if the connection to the drive is already set up and mapped. The latter, however, will look up and re-establish the connection. Since a drive mapping almost always uses the latter path style, I wonder if that could be what's happening to you?

Comment

• RDKells
      RDKells commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok so what you're saying here then makes me think that this setting; "Allow i5/OS NetServer access using the system name?" matters.

I am using the server IP but it's NAT'd, I don't know how all that works but maybe at some point it's referring to it by name?

As far as I can see; it's the only machine with this setting set to no, all of the others are set to yes.

• RDKells
      RDKells commented
      Editing a comment
      It's the other way around, apologies.

The server in question has that setting set to "Yes"
      Everyone else has it set to "No"

Changing it and restarting netserver made no difference.

Its not clear what that setting has to do with anything. Didn't you say you were using IP address?

Comment

Working...
    X