Unsharing IFS folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsharing IFS folders

Over the years we've mapped users to IFS folders. We would like to disconnect them and make them come in via our Intranet and tool that uses Scott's IFSDIR UDTF.

Is it as simple as unsharing folders or would a user with too much authority still be able to access a folder?

PS - There's no way to tell which users are mapped to the IFS from the IBMi side, correct? That would somehow need to be done from the network side of things?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mjhaston; April 26, 2021, 11:11 AM.
    Your friends list is empty!

Are you talking about NetServer shares? If you remove a NetServer share, no user will be able to access that share. Of course, users with sufficient authority can recreate the share.

The obsolete (but still very useful) iNav would list NetServer connections, but I don't believe Navigator has the functionality.

Comment

• jtaylor___
      jtaylor___ commented
      Editing a comment
      I was wrong, Navigator can show connections. Network->All Tasks->IBM i NetServer->Sessions

I've always gone in through System i Navigator or a mapped drive, but yes, the NetServer Shares. If we don't share a drive, can it still be mapped to if a user has authority and the path? Thanks.

Comment

• jtaylor___
      jtaylor___ commented
      Editing a comment
      No. An admin has to explicitly create the share for the dir to be shared to the NetServer.

If you don't turn on Sharing, Windows can't see the folder, so it is safe to prevent access from Windows. But other means of access such as FTP, navigator, ODBC, etc, remain available.

Comment

I must be doing something wrong because I've unshared a folder and a user can still get into it and I just mapped to it using a test user profile with limited authorities.

Comment

1. Have you checked the server to ensure it's not still shared?
        2. I almost never add/remove shares, so I guess bouncing the NetServer might be necessary. I can't say for sure.

Comment

Unsharing it only stops access via NetServer and via that specific share name. It has no impact on other ways of accessing the folder.

Comment

Strike my last comment from the record. I guess we have a symbolic link to our root named IFS and some users are mapped to \\IP\IFS\Folder and were still able to get in because the IFS is shared.

If I try to map them using \\IP\Folder then they aren't able to get in. Mission accomplished.

Thank you.
            Last edited by mjhaston; April 27, 2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X