Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTFs Question

Hello out there!

I'm familiar with going to the usual IBM Fix Central website, seeing the 'Identify Fixes' web page where it lets you select your OS version under 'Cumulative and group PTFs' option. Results are returned showing the latest group & cumulative PTF levels. From there you can download them via web browser, order them via FTP, etc.

The one thing I'm not familiar with is PTFs that a part of Preventive Service Planning (PSP). From what I gather, there are additional PTFs that correct various issues which you can manually download or even order from 5250 green screen. There's a website where you can find such information on these fixes:

How to navigate to the Preventive Service Planning (PSP) documents for the IBM i

Seeing if anyone can shed light and better explain the process of downloading PSP-related fixes. I'm assuming you download them to fix specific issues that affect you. Or, you can download/apply them just to stay current. Thanks.

Preventative Service Planning (PSP) documents are just documents that list what the current hiper, cume and group ptfs are for a given release. The idea is that you can read these to determine which group PTFs to order.

It doesn't change how you order them (you can still order via Fix Central if you prefer that method.)

Comment

Kindly bear with me.

If I go straight to Fix Central for V7R3M0/730 OS, then find 'Cumulative PTF package' SF99730 I see this to download it:

Cumulative: SF99730
      Release: V7R3M0
      Abstract: Cumulative PTF package C0128730

However, if I'm looking at the 'Preventive Service Planning' website for IBM i 730 PSPs here:

I see this cumulative PTF package:
      730 - Current Cumulative PTF Package

If I click on the link for it I see this information on it:

Preventive Service Planning

Abstract

SF98730: Current Cumulative PTF Package
      Content

Preventive Service Planning -PSP

Current Cumulative PTF Package
      Release -- R730

I can't search for "SF98730" to download it from Fix Central, if I try to find it on Fix Central I get the message:
      Notice: The number entered in the search field was not a valid PTF number. You entered an APAR, PSP, or invalid document number that can not be downloaded from the Fix Central site.

From what I gather, you can use 'SNDPTFORD' command to order it from green screen. Is there a difference between these two cumulative packages? Or, am I completely confusing myself silly here and looking too far into it. Thanks.

Comment

I see what you mean then, if it's only just information. Thought there was more to it then.

Comment

Just to give myself some credibility, this is what I was referring to when I mentioned you can order "SF98730":

The IBM site shows you can actually submit an order for the PTF:
          SNDPTFORD SF98730

Comment

Right... SNDPTFORD can be very convenient. I find it somewhat easier than navigating Fix Central, but I've always been a command-line-guy.

But, you can use those same IDs in Fix Central, too... it's not unique to SNDPTFORD. You can put them into the "Individual Fix IDs" box.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post
              Right... SNDPTFORD can be very convenient. I find it somewhat easier than navigating Fix Central, but I've always been a command-line-guy.

But, you can use those same IDs in Fix Central, too... it's not unique to SNDPTFORD. You can put them into the "Individual Fix IDs" box.
              The issue is that 'SF98730' doesn't show up on Fix Central, yet it can be ordered from green screen. I thought it was only documentation since it was mentioned on the web page regarding PSP information.

Comment

According to the PSP information, the cumulative PTF package for v7.3 is SF99730 not SF98730:

"Order the latest cumulative PTF package : SF99730"

SF98730 is the PSP information, i.e. the document you were reading which is basically the cover letter for the cumulative package.

"PSP information for current cumulative package: C0128730 : SF98730"
                Last edited by john.sev99; October 27, 2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by john.sev99 View Post
                  According to the PSP information, the cumulative PTF package for v7.3 is SF99730 not SF98730:

"Order the latest cumulative PTF package : SF99730"

SF98730 is the PSP information, i.e. the document you were reading which is basically the cover letter for the cumulative package.

"PSP information for current cumulative package: C0128730 : SF98730"
                  I see now, thanks guys for taking the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X