Migrating from AnyNet to Enterprise Extenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from AnyNet to Enterprise Extenders

IBM have said that they are withdrawing support for AnyNet after V6R1. This is to say that SNA connections currently running over AnyNet connectors should continue to function, but if support is required at later releases (V7R1 etc) then tough.

I have done a little google research (eg) http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/is...ajtanytoee.htm and it seems that the two can be configured side by side as long as new controllers etc are created.

With regards to applications that are using SNA over AnyNet. It looks to me that if the connections are changed to use EE from an APPN connection point of view then this looks to be seamless to the applications sitting on top of the connections - Is that right or have I missed the main point?

Has anyone done this migration before and have any pointers to share?

Also - how do I detect what processes are using SNA connections ...
    Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Re: Migrating from AnyNet to Enterprise Extenders

I have not done any migration, since I replaced all of my AnyNet stuff long ago with true TCP/IP.

However, my understanding is that although AnyNet was being discontinued, it's really a non-issue because there's a newer/better solution that does the same thing as AnyNet. I remember this being a common topic of conversation back when V6R1 was new... now I don't remember the details anymore because it was so long ago. (It was like 6 years ago) but... maybe this'll give you something to search for?

Comment

Re: Migrating from AnyNet to Enterprise Extenders

If you're already at 6.1, have you considered creating an E-E configuration in order to see how it works? That's probably going to be how you'll find out most of what you want to know.

I still use SNA for a couple minor things, most particularly using FTS to send or receive source members around my small network. But I haven't considered creating any E-E configuration because I only have a single 6.1 system. The other two are V5R3 (and can't go beyond).
      Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Working...
      X