ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit PC

My Dell Optiplex960 Windows 7 pro 32 bit machine failed and dell sent a Dell Optiplex 9020 Windows 7 Pro 64 bit as a replacement.

I am having trouble installing the WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries, IBM Rational Software Development Platform
    Version: 6.0.1 Build id: 20050725_1800 on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit PC. It installed on the Optiplex960 Windows Pro 32bit OK but it gives me the error:

JVM terminated. Exit code=1
    C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Rational\SDP\6.0\.\eclipse\jre\bin\javaw .exe
    -Xj9
    -Dorg.eclipse.emf.ecore.EPackage.Registry.INSTANCE= org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl
    .EPackageRegistryImpl
    -cp C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Rational\SDP\6.0\.\eclipse\startup.jar
    org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main
    -os win32
    -ws win32
    -arch X86
    -exitdata C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Rational\SDP\6.0\.\eclipse\eclipse.exe
    -exitdata 11d8_1a8
    -plugincustomization C:\Program Files
    (x86)\IBM\Rational\SDP\6.0\eclipse\default\plugin_ customization.ini
    -clean
    -application com.ibm.jxesupport.initialize
    -vm C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Rational\SDP\6.0\.\eclipse\jre\bin\javaw .exe
    -vmargs
    -Xj9
    -Dorg.eclipse.emf.ecore.EPackage.Registry.lNSTANCE= org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl
    .EPackageRegistryImpl
    -cp C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Rational\SDP\6.0\.\eclipse\startup.jar
    org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main

Can anyone help with this problem?

Re: Installing WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries on Windows 7 Pro 64 bi

WDSC 6.0 was very buggy. I seem to recall that if you did not install from DVD, you had to install one part, then go back and do a "repair" to finish where you left off, etc, and repeat until you got it completely installed. It's hard to remember the specifics, though, that was a very long time ago.

Is there a good reason to install such an old version?!

Comment

Re: Installing WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries on Windows 7 Pro 64 bi

I agree, at least load version 7 which was still free and more stable. I had it running successfully on my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro machine without issues. Remember to "Run as administrator" when you load it.

Comment

Scott:

Several of my client are still on V5R4 and have replaced PC's with windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Their CD's are
        for WDSC 6.0. Can't find on IBM's site WDSC refresh pack V6.0.1 or any downloads to support 64 bit
        to install the WDSC. CODE400 editor is used by these clients which is optional software in the CD's
        they have.

They are not planning to upgrade from V5R4 because of cost. Some are not on subscription service that
        is why the WDSC is being installed.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

James

Comment

you could try for an archived copy of wdsc 7
          the smoking gnu

Comment

Nick Litten had the download for WDSC 7.0.0.8(final version) but he did not have the
            (Optional) Install additional software CD
            applications that work with WebSphere Development Studio Client:
            Rational Agent Controller
            CoOperative Development Environment and VisualAge for RPG
            So I am still looking for the CoOperative Development Environment and VisualAge for RPG
            cd to download. The other worked great and installed on the windows 7 Pro 64 bit also
            planning to install in on a laptop backup unit I used that is running Windows 8.1 Pro and is
            a 64 bit system. I really appreciate the link.

Comment

Originally posted by jmartin View Post
              So I am still looking for the CoOperative Development Environment and VisualAge for RPG
              cd to download.
              I still use the CODE/400 editor for a few quick edit connections on a couple older laptops. But was any of that ever updated for 64-bit? Or is that all still 32-bit anyway? I haven't looked at it under a 64-bit OS.
              Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Tom

I am not sure. Did the DVD come with WDSC 7 and do you have the CD for optional software that has CoOperative Development Environment and VisualAge for RPG on it?

James

Comment

Have been running WDSC 7.0.0.8 every day on Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit for the past 18 months or so. Need to upgrade to 7.0.0.8 to resolve some connectivity issues.

You should review this note, probably the only support you'll get from IBM:

Comment

jackc:

Thanks, I will try that. Do you work for a company or are you selfemployed?

James

Comment

30+ years of IBM midrange platform experience in a variety of roles (programmer, analyst, system administrator, manager, consultant, technical project leader), unemployed for a 5 month stretch six years ago, but have yet to be engaged as a contractor.

Finally got approval to purchase Rational Developer for i v9 licenses last week, so I won't have to get by on the last "free/bundled" version of WDSCi much longer. One of the perks of the successful v5r4 to 7.1 upgrade we completed this past September.

Comment

Originally posted by jackc View Post
                        ... so I won't have to get by on the last "free/bundled" version of WDSCi much longer. ...
                        I would suggest that you keep WDSC as a backup. RDi and RDp don't do field and/or (DSPF) format names starting with '@' in that it wont create an outline and sometimes crashes. In our instance, it's a little more complicated that the vendor source is supplied in CCSID different to ours. WDSC has no problem creating an outline. With RDP, one has to switch off the automatic outline refresh. This helps but RDI v8.5 sometimes crashes instead. Since getting the new v9.0.1 licence two weeks ago, I have had no need to work on those particularly programs that caused the crash in v8.5. I have only loaded a few source members and did a manual refresh, which worked fine... but have not actually made changes to the source.
                        Regards

Kit
                        http://www.ecofitonline.com
                        DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

jackc:

The link you mentioned: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...n.aspx?id=3795 is a update for the
                          advanced edition and will not work for the standard edition.

Thanks for trying.

James

Comment

Originally posted by jmartin View Post
                            jackc:

The link you mentioned: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...n.aspx?id=3795 is a update for the
                            advanced edition and will not work for the standard edition.

Thanks for trying.

James
                            Not sure what your link is (microsoft.com?), but it isn't the same one I did.

Link I provided earlier gives instructions for installing either standard edition WDSC and advanced edition WDSC on Windows 7.

I've used them, they work.

Comment

jackc:

Sorry, it was the wrong link. It should have been: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...d=nas8N1012345
                              but when I tried to update using IBM Installation Manager I got the message No update or fixes were found.

but I appreciate your help.

James

Comment

Working...
                              X