Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New - IBM i Access Client Solutions

I didn?t find anything here on this.

Started to use the new client this week. I am guessing Java will need to be enabled on every desktop for this to work. Anyone else using this yet?

Notice: IBM does not plan to support IBM i Access for Windows on operating systems beyond Windows 8.1. The replacement product is IBM i Access Client Solutions, which includes 5250 emulation, data transfer, printer output, console support, and more. For information regarding IBM i Access Client Solutions, refer to

http://www.ibm.com/systems/power/sof...solutions.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: New - IBM i Access Client Solutions

I have been using it for a couple of years, with mixed results. While it makes an easy install, I found a number of times it just did not work, and I had to install the "old" Client Access. Keyboard map does not convert automatically, but can be converted. I use custom map all the time. I do like the "console" with the HMC watermark.

Comment

I have been using Access Client Solutions for about 6 months. When I first started using it there were some bugs, but IBM fixed these promptly. Aside from that, it has worked perfectly for me. I like that there is no complex "installation" for this, I can just copy the product onto my PC and run it and it works. This makes it easy to put onto, for example, a USB drive so that I can run it on any computer without installing.

Also, since it is written in Java, it provides much better support for other operating systems such as Mac, Linux, etc. This used to be one of my biggest complaints with Client Access, although they did make one for Linux, it only worked well on a few Linux distros, and didn't work on other things (I use FreeBSD a lot, and it didn't work well there even under the Linux emulator.) Now with the Java version it works everywhere.

I know that it does not support some of the old legacy features such as HLLAPI/EHLLAPI, but hopefully not many people are still using this old stuff?

Also, for what it's worth... although IBM i Access ("Client Access") is not officially supported on Windows 10, it does still work. So you can keep using it for now, but you should be working on moving away from that towards the new ACS tool.

Comment

Where I work JAVA is a four letter word - in every sense...

Comment

We started using at my shop (two guys) in May this year.

I really like it.

My favorite thing so far is having my sessions in tabs. I usually keep 2 sessions running for Prod and Dev. Switching between any of them is a snap. Love it.

We are planning to roll it out to users from one location, not put it on each desktop.

I haven't ironed out the details but it's the plan.

Comment

I like the tabbed sessions too.

Comment

Originally posted by corvair61 View Post
              My favorite thing so far is having my sessions in tabs.
              I didn't know you could put sessions in tabs. I just tried it. Mighty fine! Thanks, Corvair!

Comment

Our network guys are not liking me now, they are having to change network policies that were restricting Java. Going through the config document now to restrict some users from some options.

Thanks for the tip on the Tabs.

Comment

Does anyone know where the ODBC drivers can be found for this(IBM i Access Client Solutions)?

They used to be in the Client Access install.

No idea where they are now.

I've searched and searched the IBM website. It has once again beaten me.

Anyone found them? If so, a link would be appreciated.

Comment

I need the ODBC drivers as well. I don't think they are in ACS.

Comment

By the way we did start rolling this out to users.

I put it on a server and configured it.

Then gave the desktop team the jscript(included) they need to run and told them what options to take.

Most need nothing but the 5250 emulator. A few need a couple other features.

It has been working great on the initial desktops for several weeks.

We plan to fully roll it out as the IT team is changing or updating a users desktop.

Comment

The DB drivers are separate:
                        These optional packages are only available for download on the Entitled Systems Support (ESS) website under 5761-SS1 or 5770-SS1.

Comment

Thank You.

I got them.

Comment

How do you turn OFF the tabs on 5250 sessions?

Comment

Create each session individually and then add to the collection of sessions (create and save each session as you want to see it in the collection). I created 4 sessions and positioned them on the screen as I wanted to see them, saved each one individually before adding to the multiple session). Now when I start the sessions up the all remembered where their places are and start up automatically in the correct position. You can always drag the sessions out of the tabbed as well, then as the last but one session is dragged out the last session will have no tabs. I think its pretty neat the way its been done.

Chris...

Comment

Working...
                              X