Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able to open spool file error

Hello Everyone,

Theres this error CPF4235:Not able to open spooled file.Reason code &6 that has appeared for a job.

Can someone please guide what exactly is this resaon code &6?

I have seen over several places on the web for reason codes 1 to 5.What exactly does this error statement denote?

Please guide.

Re: Not able to open spool file error

display the job log and look for the message. Go back one or two messages and see what they say.
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

The basic text of the message says "&6". That indicates the sixth message data field, and we can tell that because it starts with an ampersand. When the message is actually viewed from a message queue, the "&6" is replaced with an actual reason code that will be from 1 to 5.

The joblog should show the resolved message with one of the five possible return codes.

Tom
      Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Hi DeadManWalks,

The biggest hurdle is that this job is pretty old(as old as 2 months when this issue appeared). And there is no log whatsoever that is available now. Still can you please guess any possible points where it could fail

Thanks.

Comment

Use DSPMSGD CPF4235 to see the full possible message text. You'll need to determine which of the five is the appropriate one.

Did the job create any earlier spooled files? How many?

Tom
          Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that info. Is there any way by which i can guess which particular reason code has the error hit, sans the job log

Comment

Yes this job ideally creates 2 spool files. Though i can see none of them created as of now for the issue in concern.

Comment

Mostly, follow the 'Recovery' instructions from the message description as much as you can first. The options don't look good for a couple of the possible errors.

But again, has the job been creating spooled files up to this error? How many (approximate guess will do)?

Also, how many spooled files exist in the system? On many systems, you can simply run WRKOUTQ and add up the counts from all listed OUTQs. If you run WRKOUTQ OUTPUT(*PRINT), you might find it easier to add up the counts from the resulting spooled file. If you can't create a new spooled file, you should get a new error; and your new joblog should have better messages.

Tom
                Tom

Comment

The job has run for 2 months and creates two spooled files...??? Or do you mean that the job ran two months ago, and you're just now investigating the CPF4235 message?

Tom
                  Tom

Comment

has the job been creating spooled files up to this error? How many (approximate guess will do)?
                    Yes this job works fine presently and creates 2 spool files from 2 different programs being called. It has failed in the past for one specific reason which is now not traceable as theres no log available. Yet as you have mentioned, I would have to try with certain trial and error methods to figure out where exactly the loop hole can be.

In terms of the spooled files existing on the system, there are plenty. I guess that shouldnt be of much help around here. Please feel free to suggest any other alternatives that may aid my analysis.

Thanks.

Comment

Tom the job ran 2 months back

Comment

Ouch.

If no other spooling issues are showing up in other jobs, it wouldn't seem that a damaged spooling member would be the cause. So that reason code (3) might be ignored for now. And if you're not doing any spooling into any ASP except the system ASP, that reason code (4) seems unlikely.

Without a joblog and without any failures in any other job, the actual reason is possibly lost.

But a general estimate of total spooled files could be helpful. An estimate that's within 25% plus or minus is probably sufficient. I've seen a class of problems show up on one system with 800,000+ spooled files.

Tom
                        Tom

Comment

I just ran WRKOUTQ OUTPUT(*PRINT), it created a QPRINTSPLQ of 76 pages with files as less than 500,000 files overall. Does this help?

Comment

How much DASD? How much is available? How much memory?

I've run tests up to 500K SPLFs on smaller systems. (Not fun.)

Tom
                            Tom

Comment

Gosh!I've never bothered to go so deep. I am pretty much a newbie around the system. I continue to wonder how does present memory status aid the issue here :-o

Comment

Working...
                              X