ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free e-book: Converting RPG to Set Based SQL (Part 1: Input Operations)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free e-book: Converting RPG to Set Based SQL (Part 1: Input Operations)

Below is a link to download a free e-book to help current, or former, RPG programmers learn SET based SQL. There are significant benefits when using SQL for I/O, but the benefits increase dramatically when you use SET based SQL (versus one row at a time processing). This is a learn by example book with many of the commonly used RPG input operation code combinations, with their SET based SQL equivalents.

If you're using SQL to simply mimic RPG's input operation codes by reading one physical row at a time, you're not leveraging the best aspects of SQL. If you've not mastered SET based SQL, you've not mastered SQL. SET based SQL provides dramatic run time improvements, a large reduction in code volume, improved simplicity, and a greatly reduced chance for defects.

Prior to reading this book, you need to already have a basic understanding of SQL SELECT queries, in particular the SELECT, FROM, JOIN, WHERE, and ORDER BY clauses. There are numerous online, free training resources available to you to gain that basic understanding.

This book will provide a solid introduction to SET based SQL for the RPG programmer. It is not intended to make you an expert, but it should help you to make good progress thinking, designing, and coding in SETs.
    For someone with highly advanced skills in SQL and SET based processing, this book probably does not have much to offer, since it is intended an introduction. However, if you are not using LATERAL joins, this book has something for you. For advanced readers, the book has one complex SET based example #28, that may keep you entertained if the other examples bore you.

This is a PDF book best read in Adobe Reader.

Download link: Converting RPG to Set Based SQL (Part 1: Input Operations)

Re: Free e-book: Converting RPG to Set Based SQL (Part 1: Input Operations)

Thanks Michael.

Great book.....I've already shared with all of my co-workers.
    Can we expect part-2 in the future?

Thanks Again
    GLS
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by GLS400 View Post
      Thanks Michael.

Great book.....I've already shared with all of my co-workers.
      Can we expect part-2 in the future?

Thanks Again
      GLS
      Yes, I'm working on part-2. Part-2 will delve into building more complex SQL result sets. A lot of complex applications that should use SET based SQL, won't use that design, if developers aren't exposed to enough complex SET based SQL coding patterns.

Comment

Michael,

This is a little off topic, but it looks like you posted maybe the first piece of what I'm looking for...

What would be the best book out there for an old RPG programmer to learn the best ways to use embedded embedded SQL in RPGLE as well as just better SQL itself?

Most of the books are old, so I'm not so sure what will be in them or not, and if they will give good examples of what should be best practices today.

Thanks for any insights or what to buy or not buy, or where to find it...
        Last edited by bobc_00001; January 9, 2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X