Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source JVM interpreter for RPG

Hi,
    I am working on an open-source JVM interpreter for RPG.

Using it you can run on any JVM supported platforms your RPG code. For example, a company I am working with is writing web-services wrapping the interpreter to expose RPG applications. The system permits to combine RPG code with Java or other JVM languages, such as Kotlin.

For example, you can have an RPG program that does some calculation and then call a subroutine to write some data in a queue. In the interpreter you can intercept the call at that subroutine and instead run a Java method that take the data and generate some XML or JSON and return it through the web-service.

At this stage I would like to hear more about your thoughts and I would be happy to share the open-source interpreter with anyone interested.

Cheers,
    Federico

Problem I had when writing a JVM interpreter was speed - I could not get it to run particularly quickly at all, and obviously nothing like as fast as compiled code. I parked that idea and instead went with a cross 'compiler' instead.

Comment

Performance is for sure a challenge. At the moment we are monitoring performance to measure them and identify bottle-necks. That said we expect performance to be worse when comparing a single machine. However, this will not be relevant for all applications, and we also plan to be able to use a cloud solution, which should be scalable

Comment

Working...
      X