SQLRPGLE Debugger enhancement - please vote for it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQLRPGLE Debugger enhancement - please vote for it

To summarise - The SQLRPGLE precompiler replaces Exec SQL statements with assignments and procedure calls. In Debug, Step and Step Over each iterate over these statements one at a time. Which is very confusing in *SOURCE view as you can't see those statements - it looks like you are just stepping on the Exec SQL repeatedly. The enhancement suggests that Step Over should step over Exec SQL statements (A previous enhancement also asked for Step Over to apply to Subroutines, but this was denied as unfeasible)

I raised this two years ago, and it has been sitting in "Uncomitted Candicate" for all that time.

But now the COMMON Europe Advisory Council (CEAC) has posted advising IBM to mark it as High Priority, so hopefully if it gets more notice it will get done.

Can anyone who likes the idea but has not voted for it, please vote for it?

This would be great - hoping it is implemented.

Comment

• JonBoy
      JonBoy commented
      Editing a comment
      It would be nice but without major expenditure I can't see it happening in a hurry. RPG via the NODEBUGIO option turns off the breakpoints generated for all the moves of data from/to the buffer during native I/O. Unless things have changed, the compiler has no idea which are "real" statements and which were generated by the pre-compiler. There is nothing magical about them. So how do you tell the compiler not to generate break points for them? It would involve a greater degree of communication between the pre-compiler and the compiler than is currently done. Had the pre-compiler been implemented differently then this would be relatively easily but ...

• Ghost +
      Ghost + commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh, that's a shame, but understandable. It'd be a nice quality of life feature, but overall I think we've adapted to moving around breakpoints or slowly stepping through the execs.
      However, I always seem to forget to explain that one to new devs and am guaranteed to be faced with the panic of "OMG IT STOPPED" while they're mid-debug.

The requirement is against RDi (correctly). The system debugger (STRSQL) already requires only a single step to step over an EXEC SQL statement in the source view. So I don't think the compiler would have to do anything.

Comment

• Vectorspace
      Vectorspace commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you mean STRDBG? I tried STRDBG, but for me a single step does not step over exec SQL statements in any view mode. Unless I'm missing something?

• JonBoy
      JonBoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow - didn't know that. One day when we're "socially undistanced" I'd love to know how that is done.

• jtaylor___
      jtaylor___ commented
      Editing a comment
      I assume she means this:
      IBM i Debugger provides a graphical user debugging environment on the IBM i platform. Use the Debugger to debug and test programs that run on your system, including programs written in ILE and OPM languages, Java, and programs that run in the PASE environment.

I meant the STRDBG command.

Comment

Working...
    X