Trimming leading and trailing zeros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimming leading and trailing zeros

Does anyone have any ideas for a routine to trim leading and trailing zeros from a numeric field that is zoned(7:4) and plop them into a character field.

Thanks

So you want to make the number '00100' into just '1'? Why would you want to do that?

Well, I guess its not difficult.

Code:
    charFld = %trim( %char( numFld ) : '0.,');

Comment

if you want to keep the decimal point, just code '0' for the second parameter of %TRIM. You might need some extra coding if you want the value 000.0000 to still have one '0' and not be just '' (empty string) or '.'.

But I agree with Scott that this is a weird thing to do. We might be able to suggest a better solution than trimming '0's if we knew what the real requirement is.

Comment

The company I work for has an odd nomenclature for determining the Material ID, given the 3 fields GAUGE, defined as packed(7,4), WIDTH, defined as packed(7,4) and ALLOY is character(6). The Material ID has been calculated manually in the past and stored in a table. They want me to come up with an algorithm to programmatically calculate the material id given the 3 fields I've mentioned.

Here are some examples of the 3 fields and the expected results:

when gauge = 000.0320, width = 048.0000 alloy = '3003 ' => MATERIAL ID = 0.032483003
        when gauge = 000.0400, width = 036.0000 alloy = '3003 ' => MATERIAL ID = 0.04363003
        when gauge = 010.0000, width = 048.0000, alloy = ' ' => MATERIAL ID = 1048
        when gauge = 018.0000, width = 048.0000. alloy = 'T316L ' => MATERIAL ID = 1848T316L
        when gauge = 000.0000, width = 001.4375 alloy = 'T304 ' => MATERIAL ID = 01.4375T304

This is a bizarre naming convention, I realize, but it's beyond my control

Thanks again

Comment

Wow, that is bizarre.

If I understand correctly, to restate your requirement:
          • Always trim trailing zeros from the decimal places: '123.4500' -> '123.45'
          • Trim the decimal point if the decimal places are all zero: '123.0000' -> '123'
          • Trim leading zeros, but don't trim the final zero before the decimal point: '000.1234' -> '0.1234'
          Here's how I would do it. You might be able to combine some of these into one statement. But I would use several statements like this just because it's easier (for me) to understand, and it would be easier to debug.

Untested:
          Code:
          dcl-s str varchar(10);

str = %char(num); // get 00123.5600 as the string '123.4500'
          str = %trimr(str : '0'); // Trim trailing zeros from the decimal places
          str = %trimr(str : '.'); // Trim the decimal point if the decimal places were all zero
          if %subst(str : 1 : 1) = '.'; // If the first character is the decimal point
             str = '0' + str; // Change '.123' to '0.123'
          endif;
          Edit: I corrected the code above to fix the errors found by Scott below: I removed the stray quote from the second %trimr, and fixed the IF statement. (But as Scott said, the IF statement is unnecessary if DECEDIT('0.') is used.)
          Last edited by Barbara Morris; September 28, 2020, 04:24 PM. Reason: Edit: See my comments at the end of the post about my edits.

Comment

Barbara,

You have an extra quote mark on the line where you're trimming the trailing period, and your IF statement should be comparing to '.' (no point in adding a zero otherwise.)

Or you could use DECEDIT to add the extra leading zero... might be a bit simpler.

Code:
            ctl-opt decedit('0.');
            dcl-s str varchar(20);

str = %trimr(%trimr(%char(num):'0'):'.');

Comment

Just wondering why you ask the same question twice?

Does anyone have any ideas for a routine to trim leading and trailing zeros from a numeric field that is zoned(7:4) and plop them into a character field. Thanks

Comment

• Scott Klement
                Scott Klement commented
                Editing a comment
                I assume it was a mistake. It'd be nice if we could clean up these mistakes.

Originally posted by Peder Udesen View Post
              Just wondering why you ask the same question twice?

https://code400.com/forum/forum/iser...trailing-zeros
              I was aware that it was out there twice. I realized it right after I hit ENTER the 2nd time, but I have no capability to delete even my own posts. I have requested the ability to do so several times to no avail. I would be happy to perform cleanup.

Comment

Working...
              X