Moving entry parameter values to Data Structure in RPGLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving entry parameter values to Data Structure in RPGLE

Hi All, Sorry if this looks too silly, but been having tough time to figure this out.

I am passing FIELD1 from CL to RPGLE with value as 11100 (Its a 5 character field and each character has some significance - such as if library1 is found for a file, then character1 will be 1, else 0. Similarly, 5 characters for 5 libraries). So, 11100 indicates that the file is found in libraries1,2,3 and not found in libraries4,5

In RPGLE, i have to build a logic to display the libraries in which the file is found. I can manually do substring of each character and check if it is on/off, but that doesnt look good from programming perspective. So, i am holding a DS as below

D DS INZ
    D LIBFND 1 5
    D DIM(5)
    D LIBFND1 1 1
    D LIBFND2 2 2
    D LIBFND3 3 3
    D LIBFND4 4 4
    D LIBFND5 5 5

My plan is to move the input FIELD value to LIBFND so that i can later run a for loop to check if value is set as on/off for that particular library.

So, i try to perform "MOVE FIELD1 LIBFND"

But, when i check value of LIBFND, its not 11100, rather 11111. Can you point out the mistake i am making here? How better i can handle this?

You are moving a field into an array, so it is moving that field into each element of the array. Give the data structure a name (such as LIBFNDDS) and move the field to the data structure name.

Comment

You haven''t used the code tags around your RPG so it is really hard to read but I _think_ this is a far easier way to create your array.

P.S. Don;'t use from-to notation - that was deprecated 25+ years ago just use field lengths.

Code:
              // Old fixed form version - use the DS name as the target for the FIELD1 data.
           d  LibFndAll      Ds
           d    LibFnd                      1a   Dim(5)

// I prefer the current free-form version         
             Dcl-ds  LibFndAll;
                LibFnd  Char(1)  Dim(5);
             End-Ds;

//  Use this - NOT MOVE - MOVE is effectively deprecated

LibFndAll = Field1;

//  Now just loop through the =LibFnd array

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Rusch View Post
        You are moving a field into an array, so it is moving that field into each element of the array. Give the data structure a name (such as LIBFNDDS) and move the field to the data structure name.
        Another very good reason not to use the obsolete MOVE op-code - it often doesn't do what you thought it would!

Comment

Hi Brian Rusch,

Thanks for your comment. Yes, it was a very silly mistake from my end, and was really scratching my head too hard about it.

Hi JonBoy,

Thanks for your comment. What you provided is a straightforward and easy solution. And sorry for not aligning the code properly. And got your point about MOVE opcode as well.

Comment

Working...
          X