Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDi

Hi,

how can we download a file's data in excel sheet using RDi?

Thanks

As far as I know the only built-in way to do this would be to launch Run SQL scripts from within RDi and then use that to produce a CSV.

A popular Eclipse plug-in for working with the database - DBeaver - also has an Excel output option so you could try that.

Comment

• John192
      John192 commented
      Editing a comment
      Could you please share step by step process to download excel file from any physical or logical file using RDi (as you mentioned - "for Run SQL scripts and then use that to produce a CSV" )if possible with screen shots please?

Also what is this DBeaver does it come somewhere with RDi itself or needs to be installed or downloaded separately or is it under some submenu option within RDi?

Thanks

• John192
      John192 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got it, but can a file in excel be downloaded with full field text currently I tried to download it using with different file details options as offered by RDi like None, Column names, column headings one by one each but none of these options served my purpose and file is not getting downloaded with full field's text description, any other way to achieve this please?

Thanks

I think you're trying to use RDi for something it was never intended for (kind of like removing a screw with a socket wrench).

Comment

OK - I just re-read your question based on your subsequent comments.

Is the data in an Excel spreadsheet and you want to upload it as a table on IBM i? Or is it a table on IBM i and you want to download it to Excel?

What do you mean by "and file is not getting downloaded with full field's text description," - this just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm confused.

Perhaps a simple example would help.

Comment

• John192
        John192 commented
        Editing a comment
        It can be a physical or logical file which is on IBM i and I want to download it in Excel format using RDi.

I mean to say file does get downloaded but full column description text is not coming under column headings. which we usually can see when we do runqry * n filename and then we do F4 and then we do F11 then we can full text description of all the fields that details description i want to be downloaded in my excel along with file's data so column heading should contain maximum full description of all the fields along with file's data.
        Hope this helps for clarification.

Thanks

The only standard tooI know of is CPYTOIMPF which has added this ability in recent years. If you want to implement it from within RDi - still don't know why you want to but ... - then you could define a user action that invokes the command. See https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/ad...ut-streamfiles for the detaisl of the command you need.

Comment

• John192
        John192 commented
        Editing a comment
        that link points toward writing a whole CL program any single CPYTOIMPF command or any other easier way to download that file with full column headings please? full column headings are required to understand data with more clarity.

Thanks

Why do you care? There is no single command that will do what you want. As long as the net result is a single simple command that can be issued why does it matter? Under the covers IBm commands issue all sorts of program and procedure calls.

You can write programs that use the HSSP APIs directly, you can use the Easy400.net Excel commands which perhaps can do what you want. Check the Office integration stuff here: https://www.easy400.net/easy400p/mai...in=2&xlng=en#3

Comment

RDi has a Database Development view. Its tools allow you to both load information from Excel spreadsheets into physical IBM i files and do the opposite.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedБезымянный_LI.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	155323

Comment

In mine I only get offered CSVs - not Excel. And I see no way to do what the OP requested re column headings. Am I missing something or have you got some kind of plug-in deployed?

Comment

Working...
          X