Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory structure of data structure array vs occurrence data structure

Hello.

Correct me if I'm wrong when I say a data structure array and an occurrence data structure are represented exactly the same in memory, all things being equal (same subfields, same dimension/occurrences).

The reason I ask is: suppose PGMA calls PGMB. PGMA passes a data structure array to PGMB. PGMB defines an occurrence ds (same subfields and dimension) named "dsRec" and uses it in a SQL "fetch c1 for 50 rows into :dsRec". When the SQL statement finished PGMA's data structure array is filled.

It seems to work fine but I'm wondering if there's some nuance that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

The "nuance" is that you will confuse the hell out of the next poor bugger who has to maintain the program. Technically you are correct but MODS are really a deprecated capability and I can't think of any real reasons to go on using them. So why not simply change the definition in the called program?

Comment

Because embedded SQL has that requirement.

Comment

A DS array and a multiple-occurrence DS have exactly the same storage layout.

According to this documentation, a DS array can be used for a fetch. This happens to be the 7.4 version, but even the 7.1 version says the same thing. https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.4?to...s-that-use-sql

Comment

Originally posted by mlopez01 View Post
          Because embedded SQL has that requirement.
          Multiple Row Fechtes with embedded SQL into Array Data Structures work fine.
          No need to generate/use MODs anymore

Comment

I hate it when this happens. I went back into the source and changed OCCURS to DIM (and QUALIFIED) and recompiled so that I could show you the compile error stating something to the effect that the data structure is a dimensional array - but it compiled.

Lol. I must have had something coded differently at the time.

Thanks. I'm back to knowing I have moved on from OCCURS.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Morris View Post
              A DS array and a multiple-occurrence DS have exactly the same storage layout.

According to this documentation, a DS array can be used for a fetch. This happens to be the 7.4 version, but even the 7.1 version says the same thing. https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.4?to...s-that-use-sql
              Thanks, Barbara.

Comment

Working...
              X