Canada Bill96 - English to French Screen/ReportsTranslation from ibmi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Bill96 - English to French Screen/ReportsTranslation from ibmi

We are in Canada and a new bill has been passed into legislation that requires all screens be in French for locations in Quebec. Needless to say we have over 1000 RPGLE programs/screens/reports that will need to be translated. Are there any others in this forum facing the same issue? Are there any api's/translation tools etc that anyone is aware of that can be used on the ibmi that will translate? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Have you studied this https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ssw_ibm_...bagsmstpdf.pdf ? That's the base IBM guide.

Where in Canada are you? I have contacts in Quebec who must have encountered this situation. There is also the TUG User group in Toronto who might be willing to put out a message to their members.

I would also suggest you post your questions on a board that has a bit broader reach than this one. For example the midrange list at midrange.com. Also some of the Facebook groups have a pretty broad reach. A lot of companies in Europe deal with this all the time as a company operating in Italy will also operate in france, etc. etc.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. We are in Ontario close to the Quebec border. I will review midrange.com and facebook groups. Thanks

Comment

Yikes. I don't see how a tool would work, since screens and reports usually have fixed lengths for headings and titles, so someone fluent would probably need to abbreviate to fit into the allocated space.

With headings like "CUST#" , "ORD #" , "StsCde" , "ShpDte" etc... if there's no free space on that line, you'd need same length character abbreviation equivalents in French.
        Last edited by MFisher; November 9, 2022, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X