Endless loop with no commit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endless loop with no commit

I have created a situation. I have an RPGLE program that is in a endless do-while loop running embedded sql statements to update data. It is done its work, but due to a logic problem it never reaches the exit point of the loop. It's in a *new activation group, and so if I end the job it never commits and I lose all of the work it has done. I would much rather find a way to end the program and commit the changes.

Any ideas?

Just to confirm - you want to know if there is a way to manually end an existing running job that has activation group *NEW, so that it will commit all outstanding updates?

Comment

put the job in debug & force the condition to exit the loop is the only way i can think of
      I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I had to end the job and restart. The do while condition was 1=1 and so I couldn't force the change in debug.

Comment

In the future, if you have an endless loop with some code you need to run after the loop, use the %SHTDN built-in function within the loop to see if the job is trying to end. If %SHTDN returns true, then exit the loop. (And make sure you end the job *CNTRLD to give it time to do the code after the loop.)

Code:
          dow 1 = 1;
             ... some code ...
          [COLOR=#FF0000]   if %SHTDN();
                leave;
             endif;[/COLOR]
          enddo;

Comment

Barbara,

wouldn't ON-EXIT work, too?

Code:
            Dow 1=1;
              ... whatever you do
            EndDo;

On-Exit;
              Commit;
               ... or whatever you want to do
            Birgitta

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Morris View Post
              In the future, if you have an endless loop with some code you need to run after the loop, use the %SHTDN built-in function within the loop to see if the job is trying to end. If %SHTDN returns true, then exit the loop. (And make sure you end the job *CNTRLD to give it time to do the code after the loop.)

Code:
              dow 1 = 1;
              ... some code ...
              [COLOR=#FF0000] if %SHTDN();
              leave;
              endif;[/COLOR]
              enddo;
              I know I'm weird - but having something exit a loop from within is one of those OCD things that drives me crazy - I tend to treat loops like procedures - one entry point and one exit point....

Code:
              exitloop = %SHTDN();
              dou exitloop;
              ... some code ...
                 exitloop = %SHTDN();
              enddo;
              This allows you to get into debug and set exitloop to '1' manually for debugging purposes. You have 1 entry point - DOU - and one exit - ENDDO

Comment

• john.sev99
                john.sev99 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol, I think I have the same OCD problem, I've never liked infinite loops and code in the same way as you. I also think it's more human readable.

Hi Birgitta, I can't believe I forgot about ON-EXIT. That would work perfectly for this.

Comment

Working...
              X