Cloning records to same file with changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloning records to same file with changes

Say I have table MyFile, with key column a.
    And all rows where a = 'old', I want to clone with a = 'new', within an SQLRPGLE program.

The simple way:

Code:
    exec sql
    insert into MyTable (a, b, c, d)
    select 'new', b, c, d
      from MyTable
     where a = 'old';
    But this is frustrating because it means you have to specify all the columns, so the program needs recompiling to account for new columns.

I thought of this way:
    Code:
    exec sql
    declare global temporary table MyTable# as (
    select *
      from MyTable
     where a = 'old')
    with data;

exec sql
    update QTEMP/MyTable#
    set a = 'new';

exec sql
    insert into MyTable
    select * from QTEMP/MyTable#;

exec sql drop table QTEMP/MyTable#;
    Which works, but it's a 4 step process that requires copying all the records to another table before copying them to the main table

Is there a better way?

If you're talking about using this in a program you can read / fetch it into a data structure, change the value and insert the new record using that data structure.

Code:
    Dcl-DS F5701A  Extname('F5701A') QUALIFIED;  
    End-DS F5701A;
    Exec SQL Select * into :F5701A 
             from F5701A 
             where $x$pcl=1; 

F5701A.$x$pcl = 99999; 

Exec SQL Insert into F5701A 
             values(:F5701A);
    The above code only works where you are positive you are only selecting one row at a time - which is what your example shows as well.

Comment

But this is frustrating because it means you have to specify all the columns, so the program needs recompiling to account for new columns.
      Just a footnote. If you use 'SELECT * ...' in your program (which the purists here will say you should always list out the fields) your program will run after adding new fields to a table but the new fields won't be recognized until you recompile - so technically you will need to recompile for new columns, it's just that using the '*' eliminates the need to modify all of the SQL statements to see the new columns.

Comment

In my experience, the insert method you specify fails with SQLSTT = 42802 (The number of target values is not the same as the number of source values) if I add a column without recompiling (so there are less DS subfields than there are table columns)

Comment

• Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          On an insert that would be a true statement... but if you're using a DS built from an EXTNAME - and using SELECT *... if you're not needing to initialize the new fields it's a matter of recompiling.

If you're not inserting new records it will continue to run fine w/o recompiling.

Should be possible with a host-structure array:
        Code:
        Insert into YourSchema.YourTable x Rows  Values (:HOSTARRAYDS);
        Birgitta

Comment

Working...
        X