SQL Date Arithmetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL Date Arithmetic

I have a file, I'll call MYFILE that has a field that represents a date. The field is named DATRES and is (8,0) S in YYYYMMDD format. I need to run this SQL command weekly that will delete records where DATRES converted to a date is more than a year old.

I plan to put this in an SQL program. Sorry, I don't have the capability to update my posts or I would changed the previous one

Comment

If it's simply 1 year, you can subtract 10000 from YYYYMMDD to get 1 year ago. so 20200206 becomes 20190206. For more complicated date calculation, maybe you can find help here ?

More about using SQL with date fields: using the functions DAY, DAYOFWEEK, WEEK, MONTH, YEAR, and the supported formats of dates

Comment

Watch out subtracting 10000 from 20200229 (20190229 is an invalid date).

Comment

Originally posted by MFisher View Post
          If it's simply 1 year, you can subtract 10000 from YYYYMMDD to get 1 year ago. so 20200206 becomes 20190206. For more complicated date calculation, maybe you can find help here ?

More about using SQL with date fields: using the functions DAY, DAYOFWEEK, WEEK, MONTH, YEAR, and the supported formats of dates

It could very well be something else beside 1 year, if the powers that be decide on differing criteria. I need to be able to do this whether it's 6 months, 30 days etc. I just picked 1 year arbitrarily

Comment

Hi.

An SQL approach could be:

DELETE FROM MYFILE
            WHERE TO_DATE(CHAR(DATRES ), 'YYYYMMDD') < CURRENT_DATE - 1 YEAR;

(Try with SELECT first)

You can substitute "1 year" with "1 week", "1 day", "26 months"... whatever!

Be sure in DATRES you always have a correct date, if not, you'll nedd to add extra sentences to avoid problems.

Comment

Originally posted by inigo.redin View Post
              Hi.

An SQL approach could be:

DELETE FROM MYFILE
              WHERE TO_DATE(CHAR(DATRES ), 'YYYYMMDD') < CURRENT_DATE - 1 YEAR;

(Try with SELECT first)

You can substitute "1 year" with "1 week", "1 day", "26 months"... whatever!

Be sure in DATRES you always have a correct date, if not, you'll nedd to add extra sentences to avoid problems.

You are transforming the table column (DATRES) into a different format, to match the format of the comparison value ("current_date - 1 year"). In this case converting the numeric column to date type, to match against a date comparison value. This is inefficient because then the SQL engine cannot use any indexes that might exist on DATRES (unless someone explicitly created an index on "to_date(DATRES,'YYYYMMDD')" ).

It's better to transform your comparison value to match the column format. I.e. transform the date "current_date - 1 year" to numeric yyyymmdd. This also avoids the issue of invalid dates in the table column.

Code:
              select * from MYTABLE
               where DATRES < dec(current_date - 1 year,8,0)
              Converting a date to numeric using dec(<date>,8,0) puts it into yyyymmdd format

Comment

Yes, you're right.
                That's what happens when you type fast and you don't think ;-)

Better transform just once instead every record.

Comment

If you only need the numeric date without and a valid date is not important, so you simply can subtract 10000.
                  Converting a real date into a numeric date can now easily be done with the DEC scalar function.
                  But if you need to subtract 1 year from a numeric date and the resutl must be again a valid (numeric) date, the easiest way with SQL is:

Code:
                  Dec(Date(Digits(YourDate) concat '000000') - 1 Year, 8, 0)
                  Birgitta
                  Last edited by B.Hauser; February 7, 2020, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Birgitta, when I run that sentence, I get a null value:

Code:
                    values Dec(Date(Digits(20200207) concat '000000') - 1 Year, 8, 0);

Can I convert from numeric to date simply using the function DATE?

Comment

Code:
                      values Dec(Date(Digits(20200207) concat '000000') - 1 Year, 8, 0);
                      If you specify a number without decimal positions it is interpreted as integer ... and integer has 10 digits, so in your example the expression is 0020200207000000 which is NOT a valid character representation of a date or timestamp.
                      Your example should work if you change it as follows:
                      Code:
                      Values(Dec(Date(Right(Digits(20200207) concat '000000', 14)) - 1 Year, 8, 0));
                      You can convert a numeric date with the DEC scalar function if the numeric value represents the (calculated) number of days since 0001-01-01.
                      Code:
                      Values(Date(737462))
                      will return February, 7 2020.

Birgitta
                      Last edited by B.Hauser; February 7, 2020, 06:19 AM.

Comment

These are great tips, this is exactly what I need. Thanks to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                        X