X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL query

Hi,

How can we write SQL queries for followings:-

1) To delete duplicate records from a file.

2) To show distinct count of a customers if he has more than one department ids for example this query should display customer ID and it's associated department ids count as followings:-

Customer ID Dept ID

C21 D1,D2

so above Custome has 2 department IDs so output of the query should display like below:-

Customer ID Dept ID Count
    C21 2

3) How can we write SQL query to sort rows in ascending Orders for example if we have below table or file X:-
    Fld1 fld2 fld3
    30 10 25
    25 60 18
    20 30 40

Then we want to arrange rows of above table/file in ascending order like below table /File Y : -

fld1 fld2 fld3
    10 25 30
    18 25 60
    20 30 40

Then How can we achieve it by writing any SQL query ?

If it is not possible using SQL query what shortest lines of program code should be able to provide desired output for this?

Thanks...

1) To delete duplicate records from a file.
    How would you define a duplicate? Two records with the same key, or two records where every column is the same?

2) To show distinct count of a customers if he has more than one department id
    Do you mean that if the customer as multiple department IDs, then there is one record where Dept ID = "a,b,c,d,e,f" - i.e. it is a comma separated list of dept IDs?
    If so, then you can use
    Code:
    select CustomerId,
      regexp_count(DeptId,'[^,]*[A-Za-z0-9]+[^,]*') as DeptIdCount
      from myTable;
    regexp_count returns the number of locations in the string in parameter 1, that match the regexp pattern in parameter 2
    The regexp pattern matches any string that does not include a comma, and contains at least 1 character in the ranges A-Z, a-z, and 0-9 (I assume that your department IDs should be alphanumeric)

3)
    Your example is not sorting rows, it is sorting columns?
    E.g. row 2, in example 1 is fld1 = 25, fld2 = 60, fld3 = 18
    And in example 2 is fld1 = 18, fld2 = 25, fld3 = 60
    That isn't sorting query results, that's changing column values. I'm not sure about that. Are you sure about what you're asking for here? Please confirm what you want to achieve

Comment

• John192
      John192 commented
      Editing a comment
      1. let's say first 2 records with same key and in second case 2 records where every column is same.

3. this example is for rows only for example in row 1 values before sorting are 30,10,25 and after sorting 10,25,30 and similarly for second row 25,60,18 are sorted like 18,25,60 in ascending order and here 3rd row is already sorted in ascending order.

Thanks..

#1 is fairly easy if matching on a key, or a subset of the columns. You just have to pick a way to order the rows such that the record you want to keep is first. If there is no particular way, you can use the relative record number. My example below keeps the record with the oldest (smallest) rrn.
    (note I have not tested this, but the structure should be about right. And there may be more efficient ways)
    Code:
    delete from myTable a
      where exists (
        select 1 from myTable b
          where (a.fld1, a.fld2,a.fld3) = (b.fld1, b.fld2,b.fld3)
            and rrn(b) < rrn(a)
            limit 1);
    This will delete a row only if there exists another row with the same fld1/2/3, and has a lower rrn (i.e. if there is a duplicate with a lower rrn). The record with the lowest rrn will stay as there will be no record with as lower rrn to join to

Matching on all columns is very difficult. Offhand I'm not sure how, except by using the above query and matching on all columns, which would be very inefficient.

#3. So when you say you want to sort rows, you mean you want to sort the columns in each row. Is this just for display purposes, or do you want to actually update the table?
    If it's for display purposes, then you might be able to accomplish it by "unpivoting" the table (convert columns to rows), then sorting the results, then "pivoting" those results (convert rows to columns). See here for info on both pivot and unpivot: http://www.dbatodba.com/db2/how-to-d...ws-to-columns/
    If you want to update the table, then I would read each row into an SQLRPGLE program, read each column into an array, sort the array, then update the row with the sorted values

Comment

#1 is fairly easy if matching on a key, or a subset of the columns. You just have to pick a way to order the rows such that the record you want to keep is first. If there is no particular way, you can use the relative record number. My example below keeps the record with the oldest (smallest) rrn.
      (note I have not tested this, but the structure should be about right. And there may be more efficient ways)
      Code:
      delete from myTable a
        where exists (
          select 1 from myTable b
            where (a.fld1, a.fld2,a.fld3) = (b.fld1, b.fld2,b.fld3)
              and rrn(b) < rrn(a)
              limit 1);
      This will delete a row only if there exists another row with the same fld1/2/3, and has a lower rrn (i.e. if there is a duplicate with a lower rrn). The record with the lowest rrn will stay as there will be no record with as lower rrn to join to

Matching on all columns is very difficult. Offhand I'm not sure how, except by using the above query and matching on all columns, which would be very inefficient.

#3. So when you say you want to sort rows, you mean you want to sort the columns in each row. Is this just for display purposes, or do you want to actually update the table?
      If it's for display purposes, then you might be able to accomplish it by "unpivoting" the table (convert columns to rows), then sorting the results, then "pivoting" those results (convert rows to columns). See here for info on both pivot and unpivot: http://www.dbatodba.com/db2/how-to-d...ws-to-columns/
      If you want to update the table, then I would read each row into an SQLRPGLE program, read each column into an array, sort the array, then update the row with the sorted values

Comment

Working...
      X