External SQL JDBC connection error - urgent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External SQL JDBC connection error - urgent

We are setting up a new Java application, talking to the IBMi over an SQL JDBC connection (to call SQL procedures). The Java uses (I think) the IBM i Toolbox for Java JDBC driver

The IBMi password provided is much longer than usual (more than 10 chars), and when the Java tries to connect it gets this error:

"ibmi jdbc The application server rejected the connection. (Password length is not valid.)"

Which I assume means the IBMi is not set to allow SQL connections with passwords this long, even if the user ID's password is actually that long?

Can anyone confirm if I'm right, and if not, what this actually means? And how to resolve it?

I'm not the Java dev, and I'm not IBMi ops (I'm just an SQLRPGLE dev). But between people being off and golive being so soon I'm trying to help diagnose. So apologies for marking urgent, but a quick answer would be incredibly helpful

Ok after some more googling I think it might be because even though our ops person was able to set as long password, the QPWDLVL password level sys variable is set to zero which means only 10 char passwords are allowed?

Sending this info to the ops person, waiting for confirmation

Why is it always the way that you find the answer yourself only after you ask for help?

And does anyone know why it would let you set a password longer than QPWDLVL supports? Or have I misunderstood it?

Comment

And does anyone know why it would let you set a password longer than QPWDLVL supports?
      What is the "it" you are referring to? Are you sure an attempt was made to set it to more than 10 characters?
      If someone tried to use a password longer than 10 characters using some string, it's possible it got truncated to 10 characters but not sure. FYI, I have synced passwords longer than 10 characters from a password level 2 system to a password level 0 system (using the IBM retrieve/set encrypted password APIs) and the system truncates them to 10 characters. Something similar could be happening here.

Comment

Interesting, thanks

Comment

Working...
        X