Remote work in AS400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote work in AS400

I am interested in AS400 RPG working remotely. I have 20+ years (USA ) experience in AS400.

Re: Remote work in AS400

It may just be me, but... it makes you sound very outdated when you refer to the system as 'AS400'. I would make a point of saying "RPG on i" or "RPG on IBM i" just because it makes you sound better.

Having said that, I no longer do any hiring... so you can safely ignore what I say :-)

Comment

Of course he might be accurate in saying that he's got 20 years experience on the AS/400... but you're right that he probably is looking for a job programming in RPG on IBM i!

Our users here still call it the AS/400 since that's what they've been calling it forever even though we have a fairly new box running i7.1. I call it the IBM i and tell them that it hasn't been called AS/400 for many years, but...

For searching or posting online, it seems best to refer to all the iterations in order to get the best results... AS/400, iSeries, System i, IBM i (although even this isn't entirely accurate since IBM i is the operating system running on Power Systems hardware as opposed to AS/400 which was the hardware running OS/400...)

Comment

p.s. I bet the list of people with 20 years RPG experience interested in working remotely is quite extensive! I know I would love to do it, at least a few days each week.

Comment

I did work remotely for about 1 1/2 years, I hated every minute.
          I ended up working a bunch more that I should have and it turned my favorite spot in my house (my office)
          a place where I worked. @ scott --- How could we ever ignore you!
          All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
          and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

I so much agree with you on that Jamie. I sometimes rather drive to the office on a Sunday to install a project (that might take a couple of hours) than do it from home.
            Regards

Kit
            http://www.ecofitonline.com
            DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

I commute 2 hours each way to work, so my work-from-home days are cherished. My wife works from home and has the same complaints as you guys. She feels she never leaves the office.
              Your friends list is empty!

Comment

Why do we need to correct people about the name of the box? I have an AS/400 in my basement... it says it right on the outside. I know IBMers that call it AS/400. This site is called CODE400.... should it be CODE5 ot CODEI ?

Comment

Good point actually... Jamie you need to get with the times!
                  Your friends list is empty!

Comment

Originally posted by RBOrrell View Post
                    Why do we need to correct people about the name of the box? I have an AS/400 in my basement... it says it right on the outside. I know IBMers that call it AS/400. This site is called CODE400.... should it be CODE5 ot CODEI ?
                    I try to use modern terms to work against the perception that the computer we love so well is outdated and should be replaced by "modern" machinery running Windows. One could make the point that calling the machine I work with an AS/400 would be like calling the Windows 7 desktop machine I use a DOS computer.

Where I work, people call the machine the iSeries. I assume that that's what IBM was calling it when this place converted from an IBM mainframe.

Comment

People don't use "thee" and "thou" in a general sense anymore because the English language has evolved. Why not update what we say about the machine since it has evolved?

Comment

oh sure come to the site and make fun outta the name....

www.code400.com

Comment

Originally posted by jamief View Post
                          oh sure come to the site and make fun outta the name....
                          Just wait until Trevor Perry arrives here
                          Michael Catalani
                          IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
                          Acceptance Insurance Corporation
                          www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
                          www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Trevor or no Trevor ... I cant change the name -- I love the logo.

www.code400.com

Comment

Originally posted by RBOrrell View Post
                              In my defense... I wasn't "correcting" anyone, I was offering friendly advice that using the current term when applying for a job makes you look more modern, and this can open doors.

I find the name 'CODE5' rather frustrating, because it makes me think you still think this platform is called i5... it hasn't been called that in ages.

Comment

Working...
                              X