back to front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back to front

This isnt a job posting but it kind of makes sense to be here..

Any i-techies out there that can specifically recommend a recruitment company (or particular individual) specifically focused on the AS400/iSeries arena?

I've just moved to the USA and would like to build up my iSeries network and professional contact list.

I'm lucky enough to be in contract for the foreseeable future, fingers crossed, but it's always worth a little networking now and again..

A bit more about me @ http://www.nicklitten.com
    predictably positive, permanently punctilious, purposely proactive, potentially priceless, primarily professional : projex

Re: back to front

Maybe it's just me ... but, when I see "Up in the Mountains"... the first thing that comes to mind is *Uni-Bomber* LOL

Try using LinkedIn. It's a great place to do just what you're looking for!

Comment

http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicklitten

The only trouble with social networking sites is that invariably get inundated with *friend requests* from friend-whores who think it's cool to have several hundred close cyber-chums.

I'm really looking for a handful of decent recruiters who know their stuff, have a decent client base and potentially are going to offer me some actual contracts...

I only ever dealt with 2 recruitment agents in the UK and this worked wonderfully for over 10 years...

Now I'm in the sunny USA... I've got to start all over...
      Last edited by NickLitten; October 6, 2009, 08:58 AM.
      predictably positive, permanently punctilious, purposely proactive, potentially priceless, primarily professional : projex

Comment

Big change, no doubt.

Honestly, I've never really spent much time on the "contract" side of life... other than when I had my own consulting business. I get a better feeling about life in general *knowing* I have a job to go to for more than 3-6 months at a time.

I know the money is really good on the contract side and that's appealing but just for situations like you're addressing, you have to have someone that can line you up and help you make money in 3-6 month (or longer) spurts. The unknown just kinda scares me from that aspect.

I would take a dip in the contract pool if I knew I had what you were talking about ... having someone line me up every so often as needed.

OK.. end thought process....

Comment

Originally posted by Finkpad View Post
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicklitten
          Now I'm in the sunny USA... I've got to start all over...

It depends on what part of the sunny USA you are in. If you are in sunny Arizona or Cali, then you're in better shape. If you are in sunny west Tennessee, then its pretty bleak. Compared to 10 years ago, recruiters are in a coma in this area right now.

Also note that, because of the supply and demand being on the over-supply of programmers and contractors right now, that most companies will demand you be on-site all of the time. So it helps if you are located in the heart of a city that has some active demand. I get the most hits from California, Phoenix Az, East Tn (Chattanooga), and a little from the east coast.
          Michael Catalani
          IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
          Acceptance Insurance Corporation
          www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
          www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Phoenix, AZ? Do tell...

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by FaStOnE View Post
              Phoenix, AZ? Do tell...

LOL
              lol. I'm sure it had to do with my transportation background. And it may have been the one same job that a dozen recruiters were contacting me about over 3 months. But even that qualifies as "hot" in this market. That city just stuck out in my head because, out of the blue, I started getting requests from Phoenix.
              Michael Catalani
              www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

And here I thought you were thinking of me... I must be more narcissistic than I thought!

LMAO!

Comment

Now whose using a "word of the day" calendar...
                  "Tis better to be thought a fool then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

No, I have an excuse! My ex-wife was VERY narcissistic ... so, I have real life experience!

I just spend most days hiding my own Easter Eggs...

Comment

Originally posted by FaStOnE View Post
                      And here I thought you were thinking of me... I must be more narcissistic than I thought!

LMAO!

lol, for some reason I thought you had moved back out this way.
                      Michael Catalani
                      www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

*grabs dicshinery*
                        Regards

Kit
                        http://www.ecofitonline.com
                        DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

now I read up on what it means...

eeeeewwwwwwww... Rick, that's disgusting.

I'm phoning my therapist to purge the thought.
                          Last edited by kitvb1; October 8, 2009, 12:28 AM.
                          Regards

Kit
                          http://www.ecofitonline.com
                          DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelCatalani View Post
                            It depends on what part of the sunny USA you are in. If you are in sunny Arizona or Cali, then you're in better shape. If you are in sunny west Tennessee, then its pretty bleak. Compared to 10 years ago, recruiters are in a coma in this area right now.

Also note that, because of the supply and demand being on the over-supply of programmers and contractors right now, that most companies will demand you be on-site all of the time. So it helps if you are located in the heart of a city that has some active demand. I get the most hits from California, Phoenix Az, East Tn (Chattanooga), and a little from the east coast.
                            if you're looking for TN jobs i'd recommend using Judy Robbins she's the only head-hunter i use. very professional and seems to be able to find jobs in TN when no one else can
                            I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Working...
                            X