coding split personality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coding split personality

Does anyone else switch back and forth between iSeries and Mainframe? If so, do you find it physically painful? (half-kidding)

I started off working on our mainframe applications about 18 years ago. Eventually, I switched to ISeries and have been doing that more-or-less exclusively for about 6 years. Now they need me to split my time 50-50 (or 60-40 or 70-30) between the mainframe application and the iSeries applications.

I agreed to do it, but after a week, I'm thinking it may have been a mistake.

I just started wondering if anyone else does this, or if it is just me.

I'll see your IBMi+Mainframe and raise you IBMi+.NET. I wasn't given a choice to agree or not.

Comment

I have been in MS SQL Server world for 15 years, and now back to iSeries 75% . A bit of an adjustment !!

Comment

Yes, splitting between IBMi + ExtJS (Java script) can be a little frustrating. Especially when the RPG compiler doesn't recognize my ternary statements!
        Your friends list is empty!

Comment

At one time I was coding Windows, Unix and IBM i all at the same time. The biggest thing I struggled with was the editor, I found myself using editor commands for one editor when working in a different one. The languages weren't really a problem for me.

Comment

No problem because:
            And they're coming to take me away ha-haaa
            They're coming to take me away ho ho hee hee ha haaa
            To the funny farm
            Where life is beautiful all the time

https://youtu.be/hnzHtm1jhL4

Comment

• MelissaG
              MelissaG commented
              Editing a comment
              good one!