Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement for Graphical Screen Design Aid (WDSC) besides RDi

Hello All,

I've tried out RDi & it is simply superb but I find it too expensive to spend that much money every year. I was using the Screen Design Aid within WDSC & found it very convenient. Does anyone have any idea if there is a similar product available ? I am still using SEU for my RPG development (not yet fully freeform) & am happy with it. I only find the old SDA very tedious for Screen Design & hence looking for a graphical development platform like WDSC.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks & Best Regards
    Ewart

Hmm... I don't pay a yearly fee for RDi, it was just a one-time cost.

You're right that RDi is a bit pricey... however, when I look at the number of hours of work it has saved me, it paid for itself very quickly.

With regards to an alternative -- I'm not aware of any (aside from SDA). However, I haven't been looking since I rarely create new green-screen (5250) screens anymore. I almost always create graphical/web screens for my RPG programs using Profound UI's Visual Designer.

Comment

• jtaylor___
      jtaylor___ commented
      Editing a comment
      I assume "every year" means yearly maintenance.

Hello Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Yes even I was surprised to see that the price mentioned on the IBM site is per user per year. Normally the price is xxxx for the product & yyy as yearly subscription. I used WDSC for many years for Screen Design with no yearly subscription & only decided to go in for another product because it wouldn't work on the latest Windows OS. I hope RDi is a one time cost & will serve me for many more years to come !!

BR
    Ewart

Comment

• jtaylor___
      jtaylor___ commented
      Editing a comment
      IIRC, there are two kinds of RDi licenses. The first allows a specific named user, and the second is for shared licenses. If you saw pricing as a subscription model, that may have been for a shared license. We used the named user license, and it is a one-time purchase then yearly maintenance. HTH

We plan to go in for a shared license as there are 3 of us developers & intend to use RDi only for Screen/Print design. The reason why we don't need the yearly subscription is because we don't keep up with the latest IBM i OS & so it pointless paying for something that is not going to be used in the near future.

Comment

Working...
    X