ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Send Email from Iseries to Internet Email.!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Send Email from Iseries to Internet Email.!!

Hi,

As per a new requirement in our project, we have to prepare data in 5 files and send them to user on daily basis, (i.e. once the Daily offline is complete).
    I have tried using the command SNDSMTPEMM but every single time I run the command I fall into "XML parsing error occurred." and when I try to check the XML object, I get the error, "Not authorized to object. Object is/QIBM/USERDATA/OS400/TCPIP/IP6/QTOCTCPIP6CONFIGATTR.XML" . I have request helpdesk to look into this matter and advise if object authority can be changed, so that I can get a close look into the error.

Meanwhile, I also tried to use SNDDST command and when I executed the command I got the message as "Send distribution completed successfully", but I am unable to view the message/mail in my mailbox.

As an alternative to this I tried looking into MMAIL from easy400.com, but it seems quite a bit complicated to me.

If any one have you some familiarity with another alternative, could you please help.! I just need to send attachments via mail.
    Your kind help will be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Re: How to Send Email from Iseries to Internet Email.!!

the MMAIL from easy400.com has an easy command to use to send attachments. Very easy to use.
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

I like Aaron Bartell's RPGMAIL, which can be found at mowyourlawn.com. It provides a good framework for sending mail from within a program, and it's fairly easy to add a user interface to it.

Comment

Rather than installing and configuring other 3rd-party tools, it seems to me that getting your SNDSMTPEMM command working should perhaps be your top priority on this because it's native and it should be able to fulfill your stated primary objective "I just need to send attachments via mail."

Having said that, if your needs cannot be met by SNDSMTPEMM for whatever reason (e.g. perhaps you need to be able to specify a from-address), then the tools mentioned above should be viable options. Here we have the GUMBO software which we've had for many years, and it works very well. Not free, but fairly inexpensive and easy to setup and use.

Just my $.02

Comment

I'd tend to agree that getting native SMTP features working should be first priority. It can be done with system documentation and IBM support, and some good understanding of SMTP and its relationship to the system should exist before any app that relies on it runs.

When difficulties arise in learning, this forum can help if we know what they are.
          Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Hi DeadManWalks, Keith Hodges, Viking, tomliotta, many thanks for your prompt reply.

I agree that I should use the options already present in the system, however when I rasied a ticket to our helpdesk team they sent the reply as "After checked with AS400 team, it is not our scope to support." Hence now I need to raise a demand request to them and after that they will start working on this. And for demand request I'm waiting for Manager's Approval.

Meanwhile, I tried using RPGMail from http://mowyourlawn.com/RPGMail.html, but when I restored the library, I am not able to see any records in programs. Error message "Member T1_RPGMAIL has no records".

Is anyone having a simplified documentation for MMAIL,(as I'm now thinking of using it).

Comment

The MMail has docs on the site.
              Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

There are a TON of free e-mail tools out there. Personally, I would avoid RPGMail unless it has some particular feature that the others don't have, since it is a hybrid of RPG and Java it has performance problems. For some things, I'm willing to put up with these performance problems -- but for something like this where it could be done just as easily in pure RPG with another free tool, I don't see any reason to make that sacrifice.

Just my 2 cents...

Comment

>>>As an alternative ... I tried looking into MMAIL from easy400.com, but it seems quite a bit complicated to me.

Come on buddy!

Look at the following MMAIL command:

MMAIL/EMLSTMF SUBJECT('Here comes my attachment') +
                  FROMNAME('Smith, John') +
                  FROMADDR('jsmth@uppercut.net') +
                  TO('crumba@gmail.com'/'Albert Crumb'/*TO +
                  'jmazrn@orange.fr'/'Jacqueiline Marnie'/*CC +
                  'myuncle@yahoo.com'/'Uncle Ben'/*BC) +
                  STMF('/mydir/myattachment.pdf')

Does that look quite a bit complicated to you?

Learn more ... take a look at page http://mmail.easy400.net/mmailh/othutils.htm#05a .

Giovanni

Comment

Hello James_Alive!

If you want to know about some MMAIL easy commands to send attachments, look at page mmail.easy400.net/mmailh/othutils.htm#05 .
                    MMAIL commands are daily used on over 5 thousand boxes.
                    Once you install MMAIL you have access to an highly responsive hot line run by its author.

Giovanni

Comment

Working...
                    X